It’s safe to say that Mariel de Leon knows a thing or two about pageants. Out of 40 girls, she was crowned as our new Bb. Pilipinas International. And soon, she will succeed Kylie Verzosa as our country’s representative for Miss International 2017, happening in Japan this November.
Now that many are eyeing a back-to-back Miss International win, the pressure is on for the (now taken!) 23-year-old. But there’s no denying how far she’s already come. Once upon a time, Christopher de Leon and Sandy Andolong's daughter was only dreaming of wearing the fabulously coveted sash and crown.
We met her over at a press event for ICanServe's upcoming Fashion Can Serve 2017 runway event, and asked what her advice would be for those who, like her, set their hearts on becoming beauty queens. Scroll our gallery and read on for tips straight from her!
1. Maturity matters. “Prepare yourself mentally and emotionally before starting any training. Don’t join when you’re way too young. It’s really hard on the mind more than anything—even more than [the] physical. You have to be sure of who you are because it’s easy to get swayed by people.”
2. Stick to a skincare routine. “I make sure to take off all my makeup, wash, and moisturize. I wash in the morning and before sleeping. Even before makeup, it’s important to have a good base!”
3. Give your hair a break. “I use a lot of coconut oil and argan oil. It’s important to keep your hair healthy to withstand all the styling, coloring, and whatnot. Because my hair is limp, I make sure not to style it everyday. And sometimes I don’t put conditioner; I just use shampoo.”
4. Practice makes perfect! “One of the most important things in the pageant is your walk. It can really show your body type and how strong you can be.”
5. Be kind to your body. “Eat healthy and exercise…but not too much! Just in moderation.”
6. Have a winning attitude. “Discover who you are and be yourself during the whole competition. It’s important to believe that you can win. But when you go into it, don’t pressure yourself. Just relax!”
Photographs from Instagram.com/mariaangelicadl
ALSO READ: In Focus: Need Threads? Style Tandem Shaira Habon And JM Gumatay Got You Covered.