Many say print is dead, but these stunning covers of 2016 prove otherwise as they breathe new life to the magazines we know and love through noteworthy subject choices and stellar celebrity transformations. It was tough narrowing the best down to 10, but our picks are on this list not merely because of their strong visual game, but because of the beautiful stories behind each one.
In no particular order, our Best of 2016 covers:
1. Metro Weddings Vol. 16 No. 1: Isabelle Daza-Semblat and Adrien Semblat. In the many years Metro Weddings has been in publication, it usually has the bride (or a group of bridesmaids) on its covers. This issue, however, featured both the bride and groom, making this the first Metro Weddings issue to feature a couple on its cover.
2. Metro June 2016: Solenn Heussaff. Utilizing the best and latest in technology, Metro Magazine made a bold step for this issue as they shot their cover images using a smartphone: Proof that with magazines, possibilities are still endless.
3. Metro Society August 2016: John Lloyd Cruz. In addition to this being John Lloyd's first appearance on the magazine;s cover, this issue also tackles a different side of John Lloyd: His love and passion for art cinema, and promoting art films to a wider audience, as interviewed by known movie critic Philbert Dy.
4. Metro Feburary 2016: Kathryn Bernardo. This cover is the Teen Queen's first time donning a mature, sultry look, which perfectly introduced her foray into more mature movie and TV roles.
5. Metro October 2016: Nadine Lustre and James Reid. This issue featured three different covers showcasing various style transformations JaDine underwent; plus, they also played guest editors for Metro, a first for them.
6. Metro Society February 2016: Gabby Lopez, Charo Santos-Concio, and Carlo Katigbak. This issue is a very rare occasion where the top bosses of ABS-CBN—Chairman Gabby Lopez, Chief Content Officer Charo Santos-Concio, and President Carlo Katigbak—joined forces to give readers a behind-the-scenes look at the network's journey, as well as to share their own career stories.
7. Metro November 2016: Georgina Wilson-Burnand. This particular cover is not your typical Georgina-fronted cover: It is the only cover where she posed naked while pregnant, all confident and comfortable with her own body.
8. Chalk May 2016: Kobe Paras. He may be thousands of miles away from here, but we still can't get enough of this basketball prodigy who's making waves in the United States. He fronted Chalk Magazine's #ChalkBoysOfSummer list, in addition to landing his first solo magazine cover.
9. StarStudio June 2016: Toni Gonzaga-Soriano. Toni's appearance on this StarStudio cover sporting her then-pregnant belly marked the first time Toni officially spoked about her pregnancy. Here, she also opened up about her private life, specifically regarding motherhood and her marriage to director Paul Soriano.
10. StarStudio July 2016: President Rodrigo Duterte. The 16th President of the Republic of the Philippines is the first time for the entertainment magazine to have a living leader of the country as its main cover star–in black and white at that (another first for them).
Which of these 10 covers is your favorite? Let us know by voting for it in the poll below!
ALSO READ: Best of 2016: 10 Sweetest Pop Culture Moments We Won't Forget