One thing we can pick up from this quarantine is that we're all learning a lot about each other. These days, we've been especially discovering a whole new side of our fave celebs, who are now sharing more about their hobbies and interests online.
Among these celebs is supermodel Gigi Hadid, recently revealed to be an avid cook. Yet, back in 2016, she appeared on MasterChef Celebrity Showdown and even won against fellow Victoria's Secret model Devon Windsor. That time, Gigi made burgers with pickled jalapenos and spiced crispy onion nest, which got rave reviews from the show's judges Gordon Ramsay and Christina Tosi.
[related: On Our Radar: Savory Servings C/o Pinoy Celebs Turned 'Chefs!']
This quarantine though, the mom-to-be is further mastering her cooking skills. She is even sharing recipes and cooking tutorials on her Instagram highlights "From My Kitchen" and "From My Kitchen II." Gigi makes everything under the sun—sweet chili sauce, vodka pasta sauces, apple tart tatin, paella. She admits getting her recipes from her dad Mohamed Hadid, Queer Eye's Antoni Porowski, and the Food Network, to name a few.
"A quarantine goal of mine is to make bread for the first time," Gigi recently said, to caption what would be her own focaccia bread. Her favorite dish to cook? Pasta salads, as they are "👌👌👌 for quarantine 'cause you can make a big batch and they last."
Curious what kind of magic Zayn Magic's girl serves up from her kitchen? Below are a few of her own recipes derived from her Instagram stories! (Note: There's more of which on her page!)
[related:Kitchen Whiz: Celebrity-Concocted Meat Dishes To Try!]
Sweet chili sauce
- 3 cups rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Soy sauce
- Finely chopped garlic
* Amount depending on taste preference/how many chilies you want to use
- Boil rice or white wine vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, garlic.
- Add chilies and let it simmer.
- Add cornstarch or cornflour and a little more water then let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Bread pudding sauce
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Add everything and mix so it doesn't burn.
- Let it simmer until color turns a little light.
- Add a piece of bread pudding in sauce so it can soak for a bit.
[related: On Our Radar: Comfort Food Recipes By Celebs]
Mac 'N Cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 stick butter
- Cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese)
- Optional: Paprika and cayene
- After you boil water and cook macaroni or pasta of choice, drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter and slowly add flour, continuously stirring for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add milk and stir continuously for 5-10 minutes until thick.
- Once thickened, lower heat.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture and while whisking, slowly add it to the egg in a bowl—you'll want to do it gradually so you don't cook the egg.
- Pour egg/milk mixture back into the big pot with the rest of the mlk mixture.
- Then, while mixing, add your cheese and let it melt.
- Season with salat, pepper, paprika, cayene.
- Add in pasta.
- Add milk if you want to thin-out the sauce a bit.
Spicy vodka sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Diced small clove of garlic
- 1/4 shallot
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil, garlic, and shallot.
- Cook until soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook until darker or a bit caramelized.
- Add vodka and cook until almost evaporated.
- Add heavy cream and red pepper flakes.
- Keep stirring until combined, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Cook your pasta following the package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water before draining.
- Add pasta, pasta water, and butter to sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
Gooey Monkey Bread
- 24 oz. of buttermilk biscuit dough
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut buttermilk biscuit dough into bite size pieces.
- Place in greased bundt pan.
- In another pan, mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll and cover each biscuit in sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- In a pan, melt together butter, 1/2 cup of remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture, brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, take off heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the dough.
- Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes.
- Let it sit in the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
ALSO READ: In Focus: JC De Vera 'Enjoying' The Lockdown Now As A Stay-At-Home Dad
Banner image courtesy of i-D
Screenshots from @gigihadid