Under the grueling heat and onto the streets, February 21, 2019 seemed a lot like a national holiday with fans and supporters of Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray sneaking out of their schools and offices just to catch a glimpse of the beauty queen at her homecoming parade. The 25 year-old looked gracefully perched on her float, slipping into a modern Maria Clara, Sampaguita-inspired terno jumpsuit by Mak Tumang and wearing her famous Catriona eye makeup. For four whole hours, she stood, waved, smiled, and greeted fans—possibly nonstop. She still looked her freshest before sunset.
How in the world—the universe, rather?
[related: In Focus: This Is How Catriona Gray’s Life Has Changed Since Her Miss Universe Coronation]
It's all in the quality of her makeup, of course. And it's the kind many of us girls might find useful as we approach summertime. The following then are anti-hulas and anti-pollution makeup tricks, some of which Catriona herself has crafted through her recently published Vogue makeup tutorial!
[related: In Focus: Why Catriona Gray's Beauty Mentor Jelly Eugenio Thinks She Deserves This Win]
1. Keep your face clean. It's the first key. Catriona likes using miscellar water to cleanse her face. "It's quick, it's easy!" she says in the video.
2. Wear sunblock. This is a no-brainer, and an advice heard constantly but often ignored. Harmful UV rays still penetrate the skin even only for a short time outdoors—sunscreen is hence a necessity!
3. Use a mattifying primer. The key to long-lasting foundation is to wear primer. Choose an oil-free one and apply it on moisturized skin before makeup.
4. Bake it 'til you make it! Catriona likes to set in her concealer by "baking" or applying loose powder underneath her eyes. "This is gonna catch my fallout from my eyeshadow," she adds. After the eye makeup, Catriona suggests dusting off the powder—"I like to do this with a sheer powder."
5. Setting spray. The last and final step to a makeup routine is the setting spray. This will keep your makeup from smudging or melting.
6. Blot away! Sweat during summer is inevitable, so if you need to remove shine from your face, just bring out your blotting powder or paper with you!
ALSO READ: #ABSCBNLifestyleInspo Robi Domingo: How I Fell Crazy In Love With Hosting
Photographs by Vyn Radovan