Idols who start an acting career is not new to the hallyu world. With many K-pop stars crossing over to dramas and films, we just can't help but feel giddy whenever our faves suddenly drop their stage persona for more challenging dramatic roles!
EXO's Kyungsoo, also known as D.O., is one of the idols whose acting career is currently skyrocketing. The Korean film industry is apparently going through a decline due to the popularity of television dramas among the local and international audience. But thanks to stars like Kyungsoo, who is currently making waves as an actor, more and more fans are getting excited about Korean films again! Despite his "stoic" aura, Kyungsoo has proven himself to be a man of emotions through the different roles he has portrayed. With five movies under his belt and two upcoming ones this year, there's no doubt that this underrated EXO star is well on his way to superstardom! Here are five major reasons why!
1. He's invested in acting more than any other K-pop idol. It's very much apparent that Kyungsoo is dedicated to his acting career as much his singing career. His fans even noticed how he gets excited when an interviewer mentions or asks him about his movies. Kyungsoo also never fails to balance his acting career and his EXO duties which was evident during last year's MNet Asian Music Awards where he had to fly from taping and straight to Hongkong to join his members without getting any sort of break! He almost didn't make it to last year's Soribada Best K-Music Awards as well because he came from the taping of his movie Swing Kids, but thankfully, he caught up just before EXO performed on stage. Make sure to catch your breath, Kyungsoo!
2. He has surprised his fans with his acting skills. As previously mentioned, Kyungsoo's personality is seen as somewhat "stoic" because he doesn't show much emotions whenever we see him with EXO. This is why everyone was pleasantly surprised when Kyungsoo made started his acting career. In one of his earlier films entitled Pure Love, he starred alongside popular actress Kim So Hyun and we saw a shy yet protective side of Kyungsoo that totally melted our hearts!
3. He made his acting debut in 2014, but was already ranked number one by critics among 40 idol-actors who participated in dramas that year. In 2014, Kyungsoo made his acting debut in the movie Cart as Choi Taeyoung, a high school student whose mother is a diligent grocery store worker and union member. Even though this was his first film, he got nominated for the Best Supporting Actor award at the 52nd Grand Bell Awards. What a feat!
4. He has won multiple awards for his acting skills in just three years. Since his acting debut, he has already won nine awards; five for his starring roles, including the Most Popular Actor at the 52nd Baeksang Art Awards for his film Pure Love and Best New Actor at the 38th Blue Dragon Film Awards for his film My Annoying Brother. We're so proud of you, D.O.!
5. He has proved that Korean movies can be more than just cliche rom-coms. His film Annoying Brother, which was released in November 2016, already garnered a ton of excitement and expectations even before it was released because he's starring alongside huge actors Jo Jung Suka and Park Shin Hye. The movie was so hyped up that it reached a million views, four days after it was shown in theaters. The storyline was also something refreshing, a mixture of brotherly-love and unexpected tragedy, which is one of the reasons why we label this as Kyungsoo's best film to date. Clearly, you don't need to be a dashing leading man to reach the hearts of many!
Throughout his years of acting, Kyungsoo has shown much improvement which is why we're excited for his upcoming films The Underdog and Swing Kids! More power to EXO's Actordyo!
ALSO READ: In Focus: #WeLoveYouBaekhyun—Why EXO's Baekhyun Doesn't Deserve Any Hate