Wanna One has definitely their title as the best rookies in the K-pop scene after winning Best New Male Artist at the Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) 2017 held in Japan last November 29! Consisting of 11 members namely Kang Daniel, Park Ji Hoon, Lee Dae Hwi, Kim Jae Hwan, Ong Seong Wu, Park Woo Jin, Lai Kuan Lin, Yoon Ji Sung, Hwang Min Hyun, Bae Jin-young, and Ha Sung-woon, the soulful and charming band has made every hallyu fan swoon since their debut this year. Their song "Beautiful", a medium tempo ballad with smooth renditions will make you want to sway along. It also features an emotional storyline in its movie version showing two young brothers separated throughout their lives and experiencing misfortunes once they finally saw each other again. This is the song that gave Wanna One the global fame they totally deserve!
If you're still unfamiliar of Wanna One, here's why we think you should jump on the bandwagon:
1. The members went through a "survival" competition before they were formed as a group. Wanna One trained for years, including their actual group trainings before they made their debut as a group. What makes Wanna One different from the other boy groups is that they were trained in the survival competition show Produce 101 Season 2. Out of the 101 trainees, they were the 11 contestants who were picked by the public (A.K.A the "national producers") to be formed into a group.
2. They're only a project. Wanna One is only a group project by MNet where the members, group name, concept, and debut song were picked by the audience, unlike other K-Pop groups who were formed by their own agency. It's already a given that they won't be a group for a long time because they were only envisioned to be a short-time project. MNet did this to examine the audience's capacity to build and break a group in a short amount of time. Wanna One has their disbandment date announced already which is on December 31, 2018, so everyone is hyping them up and making the most out of their time!
3. They're bagging awards here and there even though they're only a rookie group! We know how hard it is to be nominated in K-Pop award shows, so Wanna One's nominations stunned fans considering they're less than a year old only. At the 2017 MNet Asian Music Awards (MAMA,) they won Best New Male Artist of the Year award, a huge rookie award for new groups (Golden Child and Jeong Sewoon were also nominated for this), and the Best Male Group award, the biggest award for a K-pop boy group, succeeding against notable two to three year-old groups like BTS, Seventeen, and EXO.
4. They're currently garnering immense global attention. Wanna One has already achieved massive global popularity considering that they're newbies. Wanna One, as a 4-month old boy group with over 1.44 million followers on Twitter and 1.6 million followers on Instagram, topped the Boy Group Brand Power Ranking announced by the Korean Corporate Reputation Research Institute because of their influence among advertisers and broadcasting companies. Their popularity has been proven in their first ever debut concert, with 20,000 fans waiting for hours just to enter the venue. Wanna One also signed 8 commercial deals including huge brands such as Innisfree, Lotte, Samsung Pay, and one of South Korea's largest e-commerce sites Timon which they collaborated to produce Wanna One limited edition transportation cards.
5. Everyone's crazy about Wanna One's own reality show. Wanna One was also given their own reality shows produced by South Korea's two biggest networks namely Wanna One Go (which is now on its second season) by Mnet and Wanna City by SBS which show their off-cam quirky personalities, activities, and the group's overall closeness.
With all these achievements and opportunities to get to know them more, fans can't help but fall hard for the boys of Wanna One! Are you also a Wannable? Share your love for this rising K-pop group in the comments below!
ALSO READ: In Focus: Our Dream Line-Up At The Golden Disc Awards Happening In Manila This January
Banner Photography from Wanna One Official Facebook page, Photos from Instagram.firstname.lastname@example.org and Instagram.com/@jaehwanssi_yth