Edgy makeup looks are not exactly everyone's comfort zone in the realm of red carpet beauty. As part of an entire Star Magic Ball package there is often the anticipation of a strong makeup look either overpowering the celebrity's facial features or tipping the scale off balance in terms of her overall look. Bold makeup, if not done well, is often a recipe for disaster in photos. Stars ultimately want to look beautiful, period. Kudos to those who dared go bold before, and to the makeup artists who waved their magic brushes without summoning a cast member of The Craft in the process. Here are a couple of past Star Magic Ball makeup looks we consider edgy yet exquisite.
1. KZ Tandingan, 2016. Makeup by Anthea Bueno. What we love about KZ's edgy look is how balanced it still is despite the daring, navy sparkled lip. Moderately defined brows, dewy skin, the use of contour and highlighter as opposed to a ton of blush all support the intensity of KZ's statement pout.
2. Kim Jones, 2015. Makeup by Owen Sarmiento. Kim's look may be next to natural, but we feel that her tightlined eyes and slicked back hair level this up to edgy. Owen stayed away from loud pinks and corals and opted for a neutral palette. But he also focused on her eyes as well as facial sculpting.
3. Bianca Manalo, 2014. Makeup by Mary Letim. For this seemingly airbrushed look Mary tightlined Bianca's eyes with deep navy and black, then rimmed them with bluish silver sparkle just to add more "oomph". She finished the them off with an attractive, fluttery pair of falsies.
4. Yeng Constantino, 2015. Makeup by Owen Sarmiento. Yeng is often game for playful makeup. She trusts makeup magician Owen Sarmiento the most when it comes to her often bold, colorful looks. For the Star Magic Ball in 2015 Owen unleashed the singer's vampy side in an elegant way. Clean shading, deeply blended sparkly taupe shadow across her lids, and a burgundy lip all merge to create a completely photo-ready, standout look.
5. Bea Alonzo, 2014. Makeup By Juan Sarte. Bea was certainly channeling Catherine Zeta-Jones from Chicago three years ago when she stepped out for the Star Magic Ball like this. With a full face done by the country's makeup master, Juan Sarte, and the courage to "wig" it that night in the hair department, Bea was reportedly pegged as "iconic".
6. Maja Salvador, 2016. Makeup By Owen Sarmiento. What could be more edgy than going for intense eyes and lips at the same time? Owen Sarmiento perfects makeup balance even with bold color and intensity, and it's no surprise he's earned Maja's trust. We feel the actress doubled up the dare in her look by sporting this plunging, sexy black number the night of the ball.
ALSO READ: Throwback Treasure: Take Some Makeup Inspo From These 'Au Naturel' Star Magic Ball Looks!
Catch more updates on the biggest celebrity ball in Philippines showbiz by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can also log on to the Star Magic Ball 2017 official website here; follow Star Magic's accounts (@starmagicphils) on Twitter and Instagram; and search #StarMagicBall2017 and #RoadToStarMagicBall2017 on your social media accounts!
Photos from David Soriano, 4.bp.blogspot.com, and Instagram.com/makeupartbyowen, Instagram.com/bea_alonzo, Instagram.com/maryletim, Instagram.com/antheabueno, Instagram.com/kimcamjones