These days, celebrity books often climb to the top of bestseller lists. As it is Buwan ng Mga Akdang Pinoy, we thought we'd give your Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling reads a break by highlighting those penned by our beloved local celebs. Check out this list of actors, actresses, and hosts who've ventured into the world of publishing!
1. Alex Gonzaga. For those who are going through a heart wrenching breakup, Alex Gonzaga's debut book, Dear Alex, Break Na Kami. Paano?! Love, Catherine, might just help!
Considered funny and witty by readers, her breakup manual became an instant bestseller. She even made a deal with Star Cinema to turn the book into a movie. Last year, Alex launched her second volume, this time about dating. The title? Dear Alex, We’re Dating. Tama, Mali?! Love, Catherine.
2. Bianca Gonzales-Intal. Also following the survival guide route was Bianca Gonzales-Intal with her book Paano Ba ‘To?! How To Survive Growing Up. In it, the 34-year-old gets real on things like family, failure, career, and love. She also gets her showbiz friends (Toni Gonzaga, Anne Curtis, and Atom Aurallo to name a few) to open up about their own experiences.
Blogger Bookbed had nothing but praise for her work, saying, “Given all those, could this book be more awesome?? Yes! ‘Cause aside from hope, inspiration, and answers delivered with wit, honesty and humor, it contains fantabulous illustrations and calligraphy.”
3. Judy Ann Santos. Juday’s passion for food showed not only on TV but also through the written word. Entitled Judy Ann’s Kitchen, her award-winning cookbook features 44 recipes and plenty of tips from the superstar.
Juday writes, “There's truly something special about preparing meals for the people who matter in your life. I see that food can put smiles on their faces, and I consider it an accomplishment that I am able to make people happy with the food I cook. This cookbook is not only a collection of recipes and tips I gladly share with you, dear reader, but also, and most importantly, a part of who I am.”
[related: The Six Fix: Amy Ewing's Tips On What It Takes To Be A Successful Book Author]
4. Solenn Heusaff and Georgina Wilson. What started out as comments and suggestions from their fans quickly became what is now known as Besties. According to Solenn, “We felt that it’s very important...there are so many young girls who look up to people in showbiz, up to magazines. And they’re probably not aware that it’s all Photoshopped, we’re fully made up. I think it’s just amazing and the photographers are very good, but we don’t always look like that.”
Besties is filled with fashion tips and diet hacks. The It girls also let us in on their insecurities, romantic relationships, and most importantly, friendship. One bit of advice? “Just take it lightly, don’t live by this. Just make sure that you’re surrounding yourself with good people and remove all the negativity for you to be able to do what you want,” says Solenn.
5. Vice Ganda. What more can you expect from Vice but a book on humor? This is exactly what he gave us with the release of President Vice: Ang Bagong Panggulo ng Pilipinas.
When asked why he wrote it, Vice said: "Nung eleksyon, kahit saan ka pumunta, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ang daming nag-aaway-away. That time, I would make sure na fun lang 'yung ipo-post ko lang tapos nagtu-tweet ako ng #Pagbabago. Tapos kinakagat naman nila, so kinarir ko.” Readers rave that this book will make you laugh hard and relieve you of stress.
6. James Reid and Nadine Lustre. The popular love team gives fans a look at their personal lives via Team Real: Your All-Access Pass Into James Reid and Nadine Lustre's World. It's the first locally published book to be sold-out even before hitting stores. Though only 122 pages long, it's got enough fun facts and kilig images for JaDine fans to swoon over!
“The pictures come from us and the words, from our mouths. Nadine and I were completely involved. You haven't seen JaDine like this,” James says. Team Real was soon followed by a second book: Till I Met You: A Wedding Planner.
7. Ramon Bautista. A list of celebrity authors wouldn't be complete without Ramon Bautista! The comedian-host has taken his arguably crass humor to writing and has four books to show for it.
The first, Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo?, was published in 2012 and made into a movie starring Kim Chiu and Xian Lim. He's since continued to tickle our funny bones with Help!!! Ayoko Na Sa Syota Ko!, My True Friends, and Malapit Na, Unggoy.
ALSO READ: Cheat Sheet: These Are The Ways Solenn, LIza, KC, And James Combat Fatigue And Stress
Banner Image by Gio Vibar. Photographs from Gerry Plaza.