Ahhh, celebrities in love. Sure, many of them come and go. Some don't even last weeks, but there are just some pairs that we can't help but wish could last forever. However, that's not always the case, especially in a volatile industry when careers can get in the way of love. As much as we want to believe in soulmates and fairy tale endings, these ex-lovers show us that not every love story ends in happily ever after, and, sometimes, that's just the way it is.
Here are some of the most devastating celeb breakups we're still not quite over with:
1. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens Admit it, Troy Bolton and Gabriella Montez helped define young love in your early teen years. When we heard the news that they were really together IRL, we couldn't help rejoicing in the fact that this High School Musical romance has gone from reel to real! However, after five years of dating, the couple broke up leaving us with crushed hearts and "When There Was Me and You" on repeat.
2. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield These two were just perfect in so many ways. Aside from the fact that they'd surely make cute babies together someday, their goofy personalities and big hearts make them the most adorable couple ever! Unfortunately, like almost all the other perfect Hollywood couples, their love story didn't last. After dating for four years, they decided to go their separate ways. Unlike most young celeb exes, though, these two have repeatedly shown that it's possible to have a civil—even friendly—relationship with your ex. Can they get any cuter?!
3. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling Their portrayal of the unforgettable story of the rich city girl and poor country boy in the film adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook felt so real—but did you know that Ryan Gosling hated Rachel McAdams so much that he asked the director to kick her off the set? These two proved this saying true: "The more you hate, the more you love." After they wrapped up the film in 2004, they began dating; but, sadly, unlike the lasting romance of their characters in their film, the two weren't like Noah and Allie, after all. We guess some love stories are better left onscreen.
4. Erich Gonzales and Daniel Matsunaga During the time they were together, we all thought they were a match made in heaven as we followed their love story on TV and on social media. But as much as these former love birds made us felt kilig like no other, it was sad to see their romance end bitterly. The reason behind their breakup still remains a mystery, but we still hope they can restore even just the wonderful friendship they once had together!
5. Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson They're undeniably the most popular couple to emerge from Pinoy Big Brother. Their intense chemistry had us all rooting for them 'til the very end—but despite the support of the #KimErald fandom, you can't force something when it's no longer working. Years later, we're just happy to see how they manage to remain friends after the split. And with their comeback series Ikaw Lang Ang Iibigin we get to see them together onscreen again at least!
6. Gretchen Ho and Robi Domingo They were one of the sweetest and humblest young couples in the 'biz. Not to mention, some of the smartest and coolest role models the youth can look up to. However, it seems like the saying "all good things must come to an end" proved true when this wonderful pair broke up after more than three years of being together. BRB, sobbing. However, they openly said that they're not "closing their doors in the future," so we're not giving up on them just yet!
As heartbroken as we are with these celeb breakups, we're happy to see them move forward in their lives as they find happiness—whether in their current relationships or success in their booming careers. They show us that there's no use in crying over failed relationships and that embracing the past and knowing when to move on from it is the only way we can truly enjoy the present and see a brighter future.
ALSO READ: The Six Fix: Celebs Who Grew Up With Strict Parents And What We Learned From Them