By Rafael Bustamante
Chalk Campus Correspondent
Tired of the usual romantic comedies where meet-cutes and cliché endings abound? Are you looking for gore, eerie apparitions, and hair-raising scenes? Well, this is where you're upgrading your movie experience to the next level. Get ready and call a buddy who you can scream with or a crush whose arms you can cling to as we give you a rundown of horror films that are sure to give you the chills and the thrills!
1. The Conjuring 2 (2016) This sequel of The Conjuring (2013) is the story of real-life couple, Ed and Lorraine Warren, who are paranormal investigators. In 1976, Lorraine has a premonition that something bad will happen to her husband, which led her to ask Ed to discontinue their work. However, they were assigned by the Catholic Church in England to assist a family in London wherein Peggy Hodgson was believed to be possessed by demonic spirits. While all these mind-boggling supernatural events happen, Ed and Lorraine Warren continue to watch each others' backs and prove that nothing—even death—can separate them. As much as this movie will scare you to death, it'll also show you how true love enables people to fight against all odds.
2. Ginger Snaps (2000) This film will definitely bring delight to every werewolf lover out there! This story revolves around two outcast sisters named Brigitte and Ginger. It all started when they were both walking through a neighborhood park when a wild creature suddenly leaped out from the bushes and bit Ginger. As they survive the attack and race home after the terrifying incident, sudden changes in Ginger's body and appetite start to manifest. In their quest to find a cure before the full moon, this horror film will totally leave you on the edge of your seat!
3. The Descent (2005) Does your barkada love trekking? If you do, then this British survival-horror film will certainly keep you glued to the screen! It's a story about six women who fearlessly enter an unmapped cave system. Their expedition goes horribly wrong after a collapse trapped them deep underground where they find themselves chased by flesh-eating creatures. Do you think you and your friends would survive something like this?
4. Final Destination (2000-2011) This American horror franchise will show you the countless ways you can brutally die. From car and plane crashes to the most random and bloodiest accidents at malls or parks, it's the kind of film that will make you want stay inside the safety of your home.
5. The Cabin In The Woods (2012) A group of five college friends choose to spend their break at an isolated cabin in the woods; but, as the days pass by, they slowly find the horrible truth behind the mysterious and eerie cabin they're staying in—and how it's going to change life as they know it. You'll absolutely be just as surprised as the characters while you reach its plot twist.
6. Warm Bodies (2013) If the song “Love Will Keep Us Alive” is to be turned into a film, it would definitely be this one. R isn't your average zombie. As he sees a fellow undead attack a living woman named Julie, he rescues her and instantly falls in love with her. As Julie realizes that R is different from the other zombies, the two find themselves in an unusual relationship. Little did they know that their love story will be a way that could transform the entire lifeless world.
Which film are you most excited to see with your squad? Let us know in the comments!
ALSO READ: The Six Fix: 6 Movies That Are Awkward To Watch With Your Parents
Banner photograph via Unsplash.