The word "triathlon" easily incites a sense of intimidation. Or fear, even. It's precisely because finishing a 1.5km swim, a 40km cycling lap, and a 10km run all in one round is literally a task reserved not for the faint of heart. There are months-long preparatory triathlon trainings, and squeezing it in your schedule could be a hassle. Yet, triathletes would straightforwardly say that yes, you, too, can do it. And that, no matter the weight, height, or condition. If paratriathletes (triathletes limited because of certain physical conditions) like Iron Man participants from the TODO Triathlon Team are not enough reason to inspire you, nothing else will. Or, just maybe, these fit TV personalities will?
Meet some of our favorite stars whose busy calendars or any other personal issue didn't at all hinder them from trying out this adrenaline-packed sport!
1. Gerald Anderson. Gerald has always been sporty, and triathlon is his most recent favorite sport. He participated in his first triathlon (ASTC Asian Triathlon Cup in Subic) in 2015, and has not stopped since. He represented the Philippines at the prestigious Los Angeles Marathon last March, finishing the full marathon (42k) at a satisfactory 4:25:2. You could even say the newly piloted marathon-themed teleserye Ikaw Lang Ang Iigibin was molded for him.
2. Jake Cuenca. Jake, a method actor, got into triathlon solely for his role on Ikaw Lang Ang Iibigin. He immersed himself in daily training sessions to come out as authentic a "triathlete" as possible. Not even a bike incident last March 14, which led to broken bones on one of his hands, stopped him from getting back to it. Recently, he even teamed up with co-star Gerald for the recently held Century Tuna Ironman Triathlon in Subic, and is now preparing for the upcoming Cobra Ironman Triathlon in Cebu on August 6.
3. Matteo Guidicelli. Fitness is obviously a big part of Matteo's lifestyle, such that competing in the Ironman has been an annual activity for him. Inspired by his father Gianluca, he credits his triathlon lifestyle for that enviable physique. He has yet to drag girlfriend Sarah Geronimo into the sport, though!
[related: In Focus: 7 Ways Matteo Guidicelli Will Convince You To Give Triathlons A Shot]
4. Gretchen Fullido. You would see her anchoring on TV Patrol one day, and joining a triathlon on the next. A member of the UP swimming team during her college days, Gretchen keeps herself fit through the sport. She recently completed the Ironman Marathon in Subic with Kim Atienza and Dingdong Dantes.
5. Piolo Pascual. At 40, Papa P is a staunch advocate of working out, and sets an example by participating in marathons and triathlons. He is a regular participant in triathlons, having recently completed the bike relay of the Cobra Ironman last year.
6. Isabelle Daza. Belle easily drops all that kakikayan once you get her talking about triathlon. She has participated in her first 70.3 Ironman in Cebu back in 2013, and has only gotten serious with it since. She even convinced husband Adrien Semblat into joining the sport!
7. Kim Chiu. She may be a newbie, having joined the sport only because of her new reunion soap with Gerald. But, lo and behold, Kim has now gone competitive herself! She recently completed her first duathlon last March, and her first half-marathon last April. We guess it's all in the Ikaw Lang Ang Iibigin fam!
8. Kim Atienza. Of course, this list wouldn't be complete without mentioning Kuya Kim. His post-stroke rehab sessions in 2010 would later get him training for marathons and triathlons. It was a wakeup call for the Matanglawin host.
ALSO READ: In Focus: The Many Ways Of Jazzing Up Your Workout Clothes As Seen At Lifestyle TV PH's 'FitStreet'
Photographs from Instragram.com/andersongeraldjr, Instagram.com/kuyakim_atienza, Instagram.com/chinitaprincess, Instagram.com/gretsfullido, Instagram.com/Isabelledaza, Instagram.com/juancarloscuenca, Everythingcebu.com, and cebufitnessblog.com/