Once in a while, say during a heartbreak or some fateful life event that makes you question your god, we inevitably come across some Adele song in the BG. It's cinematic, really–that one line from any of her entire discography piercing you right through the heart you end up in a fit of crying. There's apparently a science to why her music makes us annoyingly emotional every time. According to Huffington Post's article on the matter, Adele's songs always has these extra note called "appoggiatura," which somehow makes her tunes more moving than usual.
Paying tribute to the British balladeer who celebrated her 29th birthday last May 5, here's a list of her best, most sentimental songs that we think would fit any of these cinematic moments in our life. And for the sake of providing some visuals to our melodrama, next to these songs are real-life events of local showbiz heartbreak that left us de-vas-ta-ted. Cue: "This Is: Adele" playlist on Spotify!
1. The breakup of Robi Domingo and Gretchen Ho. They were once the 'it' couple–two Ateneo heartthrobs who would make it big in hosting after graduation. Robi and Gretchen dated for three years before calling it quits last March. The reason? That they had to focus with their respective careers first. There may be hope for the two, if you think Robi's video message for his ex at the pre-pageant segment of Bb. Pilipinas 2017 counts.
“Should I give up? Or should I just keep chasin' pavements”
-"Chasing Pavements" (From the album 19, 2008, written by Adele Adkins and Ed White)
2. The breakup of Erich Gonzales and Daniel Matsunaga. Daniel used to crush on Erich but had to watch himself as she had a boyfriend. Erich turned single months later, prompting Daniel to start his courtship. DanRich finally came to be in June 2015–they even had their own afternoon serye (Be My Lady) in January 2016. Their fairytale love story, however, ended a week before Valentine's Day this year. You could say what happened after turned sour. Still, the two still put on a good show at their US tour last February 18.
“We could have had it all / Rolling in the deep / You had my heart inside of your hand / And you played it, to the beat”
-"Rolling in the Deep" (From the album 21, 2011, written by Adele and Paul Epworth)
3. The breakup of Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta. Back in the 90s, CharDawn was one of the hottest love teams. Their tandem spawned a series of hit movies like the award-winning Hihintayin Kita Sa Langit. They became together to the delight of their fans, but Richard's involvement with other women would later cause their breakup. In 2015, the two reunited via teleserye You're My Home and the movie The Love Affair. While their onscreen chemistry still remains, Richard and Dawn have since been happily married to Lucy Torres and Anton Lagdameo, respectively.
“Never mind, I'll find someone like you / I wish nothing but the best for you too”
-"Someone Like You" (From the album 21, 2011, written by Adele and Dan Wilson)
4. The breakup of Tommy Esguerra and Miho Nishida. Their romance blossomed right inside the famed Yellow House, with the Pinoy Big Brother 737 celebs eventually confessing their relationship on Showtime on December 19. What made their pairing effective was the apparent cultural gap–Tommy was born and raised in America, while Miho lived in Japan until motherhood. They made their fans more kilig when Tommy openly spoke about his willingness to father Miho's daughter Aimi. Their relationship ended a year last April 27, following a mutual agreement to do so.
“You still look like a movie / You still sound like a song / My God, this reminds me / Of when we were young”
-"When we were Young" (From the album 25, 2015, written by Adele and Tobias Jesso Jr.)
5. The breakup of Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson. In 2007, the two met as the first housemates to have become part of PBB Teens. Their reality-TV chemistry would later translate upon their exit with hit teleseryes Sana Maulit Muli and My Girl, and blockbusters I’ve Fallen For You, Tayong Dalawa, Paano Na Kaya, and Till my Heartaches End. The two would fall out in 2010, but still appeared together in movie 24/7 In Love in 2012. Things went a little embittered in 2013, when Gerald dated young actress and Kim's girlfriend Maja Salvador. Gerald and Maja would also break up in 2015. KimErald has since reunited as good friends, and are even working together on the afternoon serye Ikaw Lang Ang Iibigin.
“To tell you I'm sorry, for breaking your heart / But it don't matter / It clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore”
-"Hello" (From the album 25, released in 2015, written by Adele and Greg Kurstin)
[related: Hot Stuff: First Love Never Dies—So Does All The Fan Love For KimErald]
6. The breakup of Sunshine Cruz and Cesar Montano. Their 13-year marriage came to an end in 2013 after Sunshine reportedly caught Cesar in an affair. Sunshine has since filed for an annulment. In the middle of the rift, she herself has found a new love in Macky Mathay, Ara Mina's half brother.
"We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts / We both know we ain't kids no more"
-"Send my Love (To your New Lover)" (from the album 25, 2015, written by Adele, Max Martin, and Shellback)
ALSO READ: Hot Stuff: Pinoy Netizens Find Themselves #Shookt Over The #MetroXStarMagic25 Cover!
Artwork by Jana Jimenez. Photographs from Instagram.com/adele and by Vyn Radovan.