Marvel Studios made the summer of 2014 extra awesome after introducing us to a band of intergalactic-misfits-turned-heroes in Guardians of the Galaxy. This year, they are bringing back Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), and Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) for another action-packed, ROFL-rich space adventure—and we are 110% sure that this movie will rock this planet! Are you thinking of watching the sequel? Read on in case you need some more convincing:
1. Peter Quill’s parentage will finally be revealed. Star-Lord had to have come from somewhere, right? In the latest installment, the team will travel across the universe to figure out Peter Quill’s mysterious backstory while struggling to stay together as a newly formed family. Oh, and they’re trying to save the galaxy as they go.
2. New characters (and relationships!) will be introduced. We are excited to meet Peter Quill’s biological father Ego (played by Kurt Russel) and know more about his adopted father Yondu (played by Michael Rooker). We can’t wait to get a glimpse of Gamora’s relationship with her equally badass (but evil) sister, Nebula (Karen Gillian). We will also get to see other important characters, such as Yondu’s closest friends Tulik (Tommy Flanagan) and Stakar (Sylverster Stallone).
3. They’re bringing out the big guns. As if the first movie wasn’t amazing enough, Director James Gunn is upping the ante by putting together a stellar team behind the scenes: Henry Braham (director of photography, The Legend of Tarzan, The Golden Compass), Scott Chambliss (production designer, Star Trek Beyond, Tomorrowland), Fred Raskin (editor, The Hateful Eight, Guardians of the Galaxy), and Craig Wood (editor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tomorrowland), Judianna Makovsky (costume designer, Captain America: Civil War, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone), Christopher Townsend (Oscar®-nominated visual effects supervisor, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3), Thomas Robinson Harper (stunt coordinator, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Captain America: The Winter Soldier), and Dan Sudick (special effects supervisor, Captain America: Civil War, Marvel’s The Avengers). That’s an impressive array of talent.
4. ‘Tis a movie bound to be one for the books. Director James Gunn wanted practical (usable!) sets for this movie. He shares, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a little more difficult production design-wise than the first movie because we actually have more sets, but fewer places we visit. So with the places and planets we get to see, it’s been about giving them more specifics and details.” The crew brought to life the Eclector set (which is 100% practical, and has various uses); the 360-degree interiors of the space ships; and the Iron Lotus set, which is the favorite bar of Ravagers (alien smugglers / thieves).
[related: Hot Stuff: The Most Unforgettable Moments Of The 89th Academy Awards]
5. Costumes will be cray-cray. Costume designer Judianna Makovsky outdid herself on this one—designing a range of jaw-dropping costumes, most of which are made by hand. “Judianna did a fantastic job with the costume design in the film,” says James Gunn. “I couldn’t be more impressed. I think that she really elevated so many of the costumes in the film. I think the biggest win of the movie is Elizabeth Debicki’s character Ayesha (leader of the Sovereign race). I hope people understand how much work went into that costume and how stunningly beautiful that handmade gown turned out.” Fun fact: in the movie, there could be about 85-95 Ravagers in a scene at any given time, and each had to wear belts + holsters for their weapons. Using props from the steampunk world (cell phones, radios, electronics), Judianna’s team customized each one.
6. The soundtrack is going to be legendary. The first movie caused major LSS among fans with hits like “Hooked on a Feeling,” “I Want You Back,” and “Cherry Bomb” and even “Escape (the Piña Colada Song).” The new movie will feature the Awesome Mixtape #2, and we have zero doubt that its soundtrack album would soar to the top. “Some of the choices are a bit more eclectic, some of the choices are a bit more popular but we have an amazing group of songs,” promises James Gunn. “As in the first movie, I wrote all the songs into the script. They are a part of the storytelling. Each song is very specific to the scene where it’s placed.” Get ready to hit the replay button over and over again!
[related: Hot Stuff: Turnt Tracks For Your Angry Workout]
7. Speaking of, James Gunn played many of the songs as the scenes were being shot. The cast wore earbuds so they could hear the music as they acted, to get them in the right mood and evoke the right emotions. We can’t wait to see how this technique influenced their performances!
There could not be enough reasons why Guardians of the Galaxy 2 would be this summer’s biggest blockbuster. For more, go ahead and see the sequel—it's now in cinemas! #RockTheGalaxyPH #GOTGVOL2
ALSO READ: In Focus: Why Baby Nataleia Valenciano Will Charm You As Much As The Rest Of Her Fambam