This year, the first day of March is also the beginning of the Lenten season, an important event for Christians and Roman Catholics. Spanning six weeks, or approximately 40 days, Lent is a time where people do fasting and give up certain things as a form of penance. 40 days also reflect that period when Jesus stayed in the dessert, underwent fasting, and triumphed over the devil’s temptations.
Among the common practices during this time include abstaining from eating meat during Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all Fridays of the Lenten season, as meat is often associated with feasts and celebrations.
It's also common for people to give up something for Lent. Here are a few suggestions:
1. There are those who choose to not be envious of others.
2. Director Mae Cruz-Alviar is opting for these.
3. Nathan Sykes has a good suggestion: Letting go of “toxic” people in your life.
4. Also, Lent is good time to let go of any source of negativity.
5. Moving on from your ex this Lent? Totally perfect!
6. UST has an idea: Donate things you no longer use to the poor.
7. But always remember why you are doing it in the first place.
ALSO READ: In Focus: ICYMI, The Stuff You Should Know About #EDSA31
Banner photograph from News.abs-cbn.com