From Justin Timberlake's euphoric performance of his Oscar-nominated hit "Can't Stop the Feeling" to Jimmy Kimmel’s amusing gimmicks (like tweeting the U.S. President during the show) and his surprisingly inspirational pep talk, this year’s Oscars is undeniably one of the most interesting ones yet.
But what really made the Academy Awards unforgettable is the fact that it was full of entertaining and mind-blowing surprises! In case you missed it, here are the top five epic moments that made the 89th Academy Awards one of the most unforgettable events in the whole Oscars history:
1. "Gary from Chicago" and his fiancee Vicky stole the show. One of Jimmy Kimmel's stunts during this year's Oscars included a bus full of tourists! The group thought they were only going to stop at an Oscars gowns and tuxedos exhibit, but little did they know they were about to go to the actual event! One couple, however, stole the show with their priceless reactions and selfie skills.
2. Celebs read mean tweets. It's not every day that you get to watch celebrities read mean tweets about themselves and see their reactions live. This time, Jimmy brought one of the most popular segments of his show to the Academy Awards, and it. Was. The. Best!
3. Jimmy Kimmel and Matt Damon's amusing fake feud made its way to Oscars. The infamous squabble between the two celebrities is like the greatest long-running joke of the decade. While it's technically not real, that doesn't make it any less entertaining. Jimmy took their fake feud to a whole new level by hilariously bashing him through a fake We Bought A Zoo tribute at the Oscars and hijacking the orchestra to play while Matt was presenting an award.
4. Auli'i Cravalho crushed her Oscars debut. The 16-year-old Moana star performed "How Far I'll Go" in front of Hollywood's biggest names and held her own onstage. Not to mention, Hamilton's Lin Manuel-Miranda, the genius behind the animated film's music, "set the scene" with a rap. YASSS!
5. It rained candy at the Dolby Theater. Just as we thought this year's Oscars couldn’t get any better, Jimmy released candy-filled parachutes and later on showered the audience with even more sweet treats by calling for more parachutes with cookies and doughnuts. Needless to say, the stars went crazy getting one and ate them right away.
5. The Oscars pulled a Miss Universe. Among all the surprises during this year's Academy Awards, this has got to be the most shocking of all: This “Steve Harvey” moment happened when Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway mistakenly announced La La Land as the winner for the Best Picture Award instead of the real winner, Moonlight. Good thing, though, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, and the rest of the La La crew were such big sports.
ALSO READ: In Focus: Ruth Negga In Red, Plenty Of Gold On Oscars Red Carpet
Banner photograph from hollywoodreporter.com