In case you might have missed it: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres made her comeback on ASAP last February 5, and everyone was just so happy to see her back on stage. Those who have worked with her reminisced how it is easy to work with her, despite her being a foreigner:
If you were too young to remember her during the '90s, here are a few clips that will give you an idea of how iconic Dayanara is in Philippine pop culture:
1. Sundays in the '90s meant grooving along to Dayanara's moves. Trivia: Dayanara is one of ASAP's original hosts, along with Martin Nievera, Pops Fernandez, and Ariel Rivera, and had her own segment called SayawNara.
2. She’s called the “Dancing Queen” for a really, really good reason. Just look at those moves!
3. Dayanara's stellar dance moves resulted in a movie: Hataw Na with Gary Valenciano. She and Gary, along with other cast members, bust out their respective dance moves. Hataw na guys!
4. Of the many actors Dayanara has worked with in the Philippines, Aga Muhlach is her most memorable co-star. Aside from Basta't Kasama Kita (Dayanara's first movie in the Philippines), Dayanara and Aga became a real-life couple (before Aga married his wife Charlene Gonzales).
5. In the music video of Basta't Kasama Kita, Dayanara proved that she is not just a good dancer; she is also a good singer too, and can sing in Tagalog well! She may be Puerto Rican, but she is Filipino at heart!
6. Her movie Type Kita, Walang Kokontra (with Cesar Montano and Bayani Agbayani) was memorable, with her having great chemistry with Cesar and Bayani. The movie was Dayanara's last project in the Philippines before leaving for Hollywood.
7. Fast forward to 18 years later, everyone in ASAP consider themselves as Dayanara's "fans" given the impact she has made during her career stint in the Philippines back in the '90s.
ALSO READ: Hot Stuff: UAAP Courtside Reporters And Ballers Spill "Who's Who" In Their Team!
Banner photograph by Sany Chua