By Patricia Villarica
Your college experience wouldn’t be complete without the UAAP and NCAA—so whether you’re simply interested in collegiate sports or hopelessly devoted to your hardcore crushie, Chalk’s got you covered with 15 ways to enjoy another season of slammin’ action!
1. RESEARCH. Being a fan has to start somewhere. For all the UAAP and NCAA nitty-gritty—from the schedules to the athlete profiles, you can check out the annually printed UAAP Magazine, your school paper, or sports.abs-cbn.com. You can also follow @uaapsportstv and @ncaaorgph on Twitter! You may also want to create your game day cheat sheet if you’re feeling OC about the sports you want to follow for the season.
2. LET’S GO, T-E-A-M! A sporting event wouldn’t be as exciting without the cheers and jeers. Start memorizing chants and yells by attending pep rallies or approaching the members of the pep squad!
3. JOIN THE VARSITY! Being a student-athlete is hard—it takes balancing your school life, social life, and extracurricular activities like mad. If you think you can handle it, join a sports team or the pep squad to show your school spirit. You can even try to snag a scholarship once you get in the varsity! If you really want to be serious about it, why not enroll in a clinic? Check out Aqualogic Swim Co. (aqualogicswimco.com), MONDO International Football Academy and Club (mondonedofootball.com), and the BEST center (bit.do/bestcentersports), to name a few.
4. GET FIT. Let your fave athletes be your fitspiration! Follow them on Instagram to know their fitness secrets. If you want to be legit about it, you can ask Harvie de Baron about The Baron Method (baronmethod.com/recipes.php) to learn more about Ateneo Swim Team’s recommended diet!
5. WEAR YOUR COLORS! Nothing says support more than wearing your school colors during the games. Visit shops on-campus for apparel. Online, you can check out The Perfect White Shirt for hoodies and shirts, Oblation Nation for cool UAAP snapbacks, and Universidad for all the thinkable merchandise. You can also choose to be a little more adventurous by using temporary hair colors like ChromaStix Hair Mascara or Hair Chalk, available at Watsons. You can even wear your colors with your makeup, like Revlon’s PhotoReady Kajal Matte Eye Pencil, available at The Landmark, Lime Crime’s Lipstick and Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide On Eyeliner, both available on Calyxta.
6. RE-WATCH CLASSICS. Watch a couple of all-time fave sports flicks like Space Jam, Glory Road, and Bring It On—your ates and kuyas who’ve watched these hits before you would know. You can download iFlix on your smartphone to search for other related films.
7. WATCH THE GAMES LIVE! Of course, this is the best way to experience it all. Nothing compares to hearing (and participating in) the chanting and screaming when watching a game with a live crowd. Go with your friends to have a one-of-a-kind barkada trip. A little tip on the tickets: Befriend your school’s sports coordinator to get hold of tickets before they run out!
8. BE CRAFTY! If you’ve got time to make signs for the games, go ahead. Express your pride with posters, banners, flags, and the like. Just make sure that they adhere to the venue’s rules and regulations. In 2012, some fans create big bobble head images resembling athletes during a game in the 75th season of the UAAP—the images were so cute as they could be easily spotted even in a huge crowd.
9. HOLD A VIEWING PARTY! If you won’t be able to watch a particular game live, hold a viewing party with your friends at home! You can even decorate the place with DIY banners and streamers plus prepare yummy UAAP- and NCAA-themed snacks.
10. GO TO A SPORTS BAR. Another adventure you need to try at least once: Watch the games in a sports bar with other sports fans. Check out National Sports Grill in Greenbelt 3, Skinny Mike’s Sports Bar in Taguig, or Howzat on Kalayaan Avenue, Makati City. Get the same feels, only with alcohol! Woo!
11. BE THE BEST SUPPORT SYSTEM. Speaking of Twitter, support your school’s athletes by following your team’s social media accounts, including the players’ personal accounts. Who knows, your crushie might just favorite or reply!
12. GIVE FAN FICTION A WHIRL. There are actually good reads on Wattpad featuring some of your favorite athletes, especially from the UAAP. If you’re still reeling from the MieFer (Mika Reyes and Kiefer Ravena) breakup, get into the literary world to wash off your fangirl gloom!
13. STAY GLUED TO TWITTER. Remember when DLSU’s Jeron Teng faced off against brother Jeric Teng from UST in the UAAP men’s basketball finals two seasons ago? The season always brings in the memes that bring back fun memories of the game. For your daily fix, follow UAAP and NCAA Memes (@UAAP_NCAA_Memes) on Twitter!
14. AMP UP THE ENERGY. Keep the good vibes alive before you head to the games with the appropriate tunage. Check out Spotify Philippine’s Panalo/Winner playlist to get your spirits way up!
15. COMMEMORATE. Remember the season by keeping paraphernalia—tickets, flyers, posters, magazines, and more—that you can easily go back to. You can try getting your favorite athlete to sign it (including this copy of Chalk!), so it’s more memorable!
ALSO READ: Fitspiration: Alyssa Valdez’ Peg-Worthy Fitness Style Game in Six Photos