By Michelle Katigbak-Alejandro
Did you know you can whip up your own hair care formulas with ingredients that are right in your home? Give these concoctions a try!
CLARIFYING RINSE. To clean greasy roots
1 cup water
½ cup baking soda
¼ cup apple sider vinegar
1. Dip a cotton ball in the vinegar and dab on roots to absorb excess oil. Rinse.
2. Combine baking soda and water. Pour over bottom half of your hair to dissolve product buildup and add texture and body. Rinse.
OIL SPRAY. For beautiful shine
A spray bottle
5 tbsp Argan oil
5 tbsp almond oil
1. Combine Argan oil with almond oil in a small spray bottle. Shake well.
2. Spray on the ends of your hair.
3. Comb through to spread shine. If your hair is fine, spray on hands first then smooth on hair.
CHALK TIP You can buy Argan oil at most health food stores. It makes your hair stronger, while almond oil gives it shine.
DRY SHAMPOO. For added volume
2 tbsp cornstarch
An old makeup brush
Cocoa powder (as needed)
1. Gradually mix cocoa powder with cornstarch to help match your hair color.
2. Dip your old makeup brush in the mixture and dust it on your roots.
3. Let sit until cornstarch removes excess oil then brush off.
HAIR MASK. For healthy roots and soft tips
Choice of essential oil
4 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp raw honey
1. In a saucepan, mix the coconut oil and honey over low heat.
2. Pour into a 4 oz glass jar.
3. Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil.
4. Once the liquid is opaque, stir and mix well.
5. Wait until cool and solid before using.
CHALK TIP Don’t be alarmed if it separates—that’s normal.
ALSO READ: The Six Fix: Hairstyles to Try for that Arci Muñoz Cool Girl Vibe