It's one of the biggest events in showbiz where an invite is a golden ticket for every star, designer, model, actor, and musician. The annual Star Magic Ball, hosted ABS-CBN Star Magic, is the most exclusive gathering of the brightest stars today, but there’s actually much more to it than just fashion. Here are 25 interesting facts about the Star Magic Ball:
[related: In Focus: The Reel and Real Love Teams We’re Stoked To See On The Star Magic Ball 2016 Red Carpet]
1. It was 6:30PM of August 5, 2007 when the first ever Star Magic Ball was held at Hotel Intercontinental in Makati which also coincided with Star Magic's 15th anniversary as the country's premiere talent management and development center.
2. The ball started out with less than 200 guests only, mostly Star Magic artists, handlers and road managers attended.
3. The Star Magic Ball event was conceptualized and pioneered by PR specialist, events and travel organizer, and talent manager Keren Pascual.
4. John Lloyd Cruz and Pokwang were the first ever hosts of the ball.
5. The first award given at the Star Magic Ball was the "Stardust" award, for the best dressed of the night. Power couple Mar Roxas and Korina Sanchez won in the seniors category, while Zanjoe Marudo and Anne Curtis bagged the honors for the juniors category.
6. It was 2007 when Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson first attended the ball, after they placed first and third, respectively, on Pinoy Big Brother Teen Edition Season 1.
7. The first appearance of Angel Locsin as a Kapamilya star was in 2008. In a bizarre twist, this was the last ball attended by Claudine Barretto as a Kapamilya as stories soon came out regarding her transfer to the rival network.
8. Remeber when James Reid attended the first Star Magic Ball in 2010? Fresh from PBB Teen Clash, James came with Devon Seron. Yes, before JaDine, there was also JaeVon.
9. John Lloyd Cruz received the Star Magic Icon award at the 5th Star Magic Ball. "Kung ako icon, ano pa kaya si Piolo?," he said as he received the award.
10. After four years of absence, Heart Evangelista attended the 5th Star Magic Ball. But then, the actress denied speculations that she's moving back to ABS-CBN.
11. In 2011, Pokwang wore five outfits, designed by Kermit Tesoro and Popo Go.
12. Of course, we could not not include the much talked-about story of the night during Star Magic Ball 2011, the Matteo Guidicelli-Coco Martin fistfight over Maja Salvador which took everyone by surprise. Sources claim that that night, Matteo planned on talikng to Coco about the latter's reported closeness to Maja. But on the good side, the following year, the two actors had an easy camaraderie again during the program, when Matteo presented an award to the former.
13. 2011 marked the first year of Daniel Padilla at the Star Magic Ball and the same year, Kathryn Bernardo went to the ball with Enrique Gil.
14. Star Magic Ball 2011 was the first time for Cristine Reyes and Rayver Cruz to attend a formal event together. As we all remember, for a time, their relationship was dogged by controversies and because of that, the two were never really able to admit how they felt about each other in public. But at the ball, the two just couldn't spend a moment apart.
15. Preparations for the 2012 Star Magic Ball began earlier than usual as it coincided with the 20th anniversary of Star Magic, both a homecoming for artists who were once part of Star Magic and a special time for those who call the talent management center home.
16. The cotillion has always been one of the highlights of the event. In the first ball held in 2006, they featured more of the prime artists. But that began to change in 2012, when it became a showcase of the Star Magic newbies and up-and-comers.
17. Star Magic Ball 2013 was the first public appearance of Gerald Anderson and Maja Salvador as a couple where they also won the Best Dressed Male and Female awards, respectively.
18. Star Magic Ball 2013 was definitely a night to remember with the setup which they planned to be a bit different this time. With theater-style seating, dramatic lighting, and a fashion show, it was absolutely a wonderful and a worthwhile night!
19. One of the highlights last 2013 was the special fashion show tribute to iconic Dubai-based Filipino designer Michael Cinco.
20. That evening also ended on a feel-good note when Star Magic put up a P1 million cash donation to support its scholarship program and Sagip Kapamilya, proving that this event isn't just all about glamour, but also about reaching out and helping people.
21. In the midst of last year's ball, rumors went around that actress Ellen Adarna was caught drunk and uncontrollable. And when asked in an interview on Tonight With Boy Abunda, she said, "I was drunk. Yes, I was drunk. Basta, ‘di ako wasak na wasak. Nakainom.” where she also denied ever leaving her date that night, Pasion de Amor co-star Ejay Falcon.
22. The 9th Star Magic Ball was made more memorable as it was also a birthday tribute for Ms. Charo Santos-Concio, who was surprised with a song number by her granddaughters Julia and Talia, afterwhich Piolo Pascual presented the limited edition book of Star Magic for Ma'am Charo, the Charo and I book, a compilation of stories shared by her friends and loved ones.
23. Another featured event every ball is the launch of the Star Magic Catalogue. Mr. Ernie Lopez, ABS-CBN Publishing head once recounted something that his late father Eugenio Lopez Sr. said, "He told me there are three things you can't lose, God, true friends, and family. Star Magic is your family, and the Star Magic Catalogue is your family album."
24. Despite the "airplaine controversy" that hounded Enrique Gil during last year's Star Magic Ball, he still braved the red carpet looking like a handsome real-life Ken next to his Barbie-like love team partner, Liza Soberano.
25. It's a night of fashion! There's a reason the Star Magic Ball has the reputation for being fashion's biggest night: Between all the industry heavy hitters and the uber daring red carpet looks, there's rarely a boring moment.
ALSO READ: In Focus: The Reel and Real Love Teams We’re Stoked To See On The Star Magic Ball 2016 Red Carpet
Photographs from the Star Magic and ABS-CBN Publishing Archives