Morning Glory Muffins
Makes 16 pieces
1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour
1/4 cup sifted whole wheat flour (or if not available, use all-purpose flour)
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup moist coconut flakes
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup corn oil
3 medium whole eggs
2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
1 cup coarsely grated apples
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, for the topping
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line standard muffin pans with 16 paper baking cups.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, caster sugar, baking soda, fine sea salt, ground cinnamon, walnuts, moist coconut flakes and raisins. Mix until well blended.
3. In another mixing bowl, combine corn oil, whole eggs, carrots, apples and pure vanilla extract. Whisk until well blended.
4. Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Mix just until blended. Do not
5. Fill each paper baking cup with 1/3 cup batter. The cups should be almost full.
6. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon oldfashioned rolled oats on top of each muffin.
7. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool the muffins completely.
Original article from Food Magazine. Photograph by Linh Nguyen, from unsplash.com.