Yardstick Coffee is one of the pioneering "third wave" specialty coffee shops in the metro, and while new brands continue to pop up, it remains to be a favorite among many caffeine aficionados. Yardstick Coffee's Andre Chanco shares tips on two important coffee matters--buying beans and brewing them:
On buying coffee
1. Buy freshly roasted coffee and consume within a month.
2. Buy whole bean coffee and only grind when you intend to brew.
3. Ask your local roaster for the origin and tasting notes of the coffee.
4. Store the coffee in an airtight container at room temperature away from sunlight.
5. Buy the appropriate roast and coffee for your brew method of choice.
On brewing coffee using the drip method:
1. Grind 18 grams whole coffee beans into a medium coarse grind (like beach sand).
2. Set water temperature to 92°C. Pre-wet the paper filter for rinsing. Then dump coffee grounds into the dripper with the filter. Pre-infuse with 30 grams water for 20 to 30 seconds.
3. Slowly pour in 250 grams water in a concentric circle for even extraction. Enjoy the brew!
Yardstick Coffee is at the Universal LMS Building, 106 Esteban, Makati City.
Original article from Food Magazine by Anne Marie Ozaeta. Photograph from unsplash.com, by Daniel Ruswick.