By Zoey Dimaculangan
Audrey Hepburn once said, "The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it's all that matters.” For sure, you'll agree that if there's one thing we all share, it's the desire to be truly happy—both in what we do and what we accomplish in our lives. But most times, more than often, we get a little lost along the way. But that's okay. It happens and is, sadly, inevitable. We need to be reminded that it’s never too late to make changes—for the better.
1. Set your priorities. Our lives are centered around people and things that matter to us; each individual has his/her own priorities, Personally, my number one will always be God because after Him, all things will follow. Among them are family, friends, love, yourself, and school/work. Another essential thing to keep in mind is the difference of wants and needs. We often get confused between the two. We have to keep in mind that our wants can only interest us, but not benefit us all the time. Needs, on the other hand, may not always be what we long for, but are necessary in our daily lives.
2. Live well because a healthy lifestyle = a happy and healthy you. Looking good is feeling good. The 3 C’s I always keep in mind are: Comfortable, Confident, and Contented. Feeling comfortable, confident, and contented in your own skin won’t be so hard to achieve when you take care of yourself. It can be by making subtle changes in your lifestyle through 30-45 minutes of daily exercise, making healthy choices when eating, and getting enough hours of sleep. Part of this is making sure you’re happy with the way you look, too, so don’t forget to treat and pamper/groom yourself when you need to!
3. Do what you love. They say that when you love what you do, you can never go wrong. Whether it be for your career, a hobby, or sport, you can never get tired of doing what you love and what makes you happy. The activities you enjoy doing will bring out the best in you and maximize your full potential. What you choose to have as a career can be a tough decision, so if you haven’t decided, it’s useful to explore your options and get involved in your surroundings. Hobbies allow you to excel in what you love doing, while enjoying it. Sports teach you countless life lessons like determination. If you haven’t found something you really love doing, then go on, be adventurous—who knows what you’ll discover about yourself?
4. Maintaining the quality of your life. This simply means making everyday and everything you are involved in, meaningful. In all aspects of life, such as relationships, purchases, even the company you keep—you’ll notice that prioritizing quality benefits you more and will even bring a positive outlook.
5. Having a positive mindset. Life is what you make out of it. We can’t always control what happens to us, so there are times (lots of times, actually!) when things don’t go as planned. Having a positive and resourceful mindset will always make everything better. When we look at problems in a brighter perspective, suddenly everything seems more manageable. Make sure to get rid of everything and everyone that brings you negativity, because they’re only hindering your chances of personal development.
With all that being said, keep striving to be the best version of yourself, by living the life you love and loving the life you’re living—one step at a time. With all my love, I’m wishing you luck!
PMAP Talks is the official Lifestyle column of the Professional Models Association of the Philippines. Visit their website and follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
ALSO READ: Life Peg: Sara Black, Breathing Love and Light Everywhere She Goes
Banner photograph from Instagram.com/y.dims