When Marco Yulo signed up for a trial session at CrossFit MNL BGC back in January of 2012, he had no idea that he will, one day, become one of its coaches. But with his dedication and growing passion for the sport, the management saw his potential and took him in as an intern coach. Today, Marco has been coaching for three years and have since become the head coach at CrossFit MNL Mall of Asia. “As a coach, you get to bond with your students, make new friends, laugh after a workout, pig out, and drink. So overall, it's that fulfilling experience you get with the community that makes me love coaching.” With everyone in CrossFit supporting one another, it sure does have a sense of community, one that you would want to be part of. And to fit in, let Marco teach you how to speak like a real CrossFitter with this guide to some basic terms that you will surely encounter in the box:
1. Box - "Refers to the CrossFit gym."
2. WOD - "Work Out of the Day."
3. AMRAP - "As Many Rounds/Reps As Possible."
4. EMOM - "Every minute on the minute."
5. Time Cap - "Duration of your workout/time your workout will end."
6. Cheat meal - "Usually (for us) at a buffet or an order-all-you-can place and then Krispy Kreme doughnuts."
7. One more rep! - "Cheered by people for an athlete to do one more rep when it's close to the time cap."
8. Every rep counts! - "Cheered by people or coaches to encourage athletes to keep on going."
9. Core tight! – "A reminder from the coach for an athlete to engage their core while doing a lift."
10. AHAP- "As heavy as possible."
11. 1:1 - "Rest."
12. Goat day - "Skill work day."
13. CF Open - "Worldwide qualifiers."
14. Crossfit Games - "Worldwide competition for CrossFit."
15. Manila Throwdown - "Biggest CrossFit competition in the Philippines."
ALSO READ: Lifestyle Hotshots: Marco Yulo, Crossfit Coach
Produced by Katrina A. Angco / Photographs by Vyn Radovan / Styling by Barry Viloria and Camille Santiago / Grooming by Eddie Mar Cabiltes / Interview by Jheff Hsu / Shot on location at Citadines Salcedo