1. Single and Free to Mingle: "Company" by Justin Bieber. "You ain't gotta be my lover for you to call me baby / Never been around no pressure, ain't that serious / Maybe we, can be, be each other's company."
As they say, you only live once so there's nothing wrong with having all the fun you want! Both of you are unattached and looking for love—at least for the time being. You’re curious about the feeling of letting loose and getting crazy with likewise people. There’s never a more liberating time than now.
What to do: What else, but totally have fun! Get to know this person a bit more, go out and see the sights, drink beers, and sing and dance the night away. You just got to be that—each other’s company.
2. I’m-Taken-But-Just-Want-To-Have-Fun: "I Know What You Did Last Summer" by Shawn Mendes feat. Camila Cabello. "Does he know? / Another hands have touched my skin / I won’t tell him where I’ve been."
You’re with someone, but one vacation night you found yourself locking lips with another. And during your stay, he’s acted like your boyfriend and you his girl, but no more after that. This is tricky – you still cheated with your partner. And what if he did know about it?
What to do: Since we’re guessing it’s just a fling and you’ve cut contact with The Other Man, own up your mistakes. Whether you admit it or not is your decision, but the next time you encounter another similar situation, always take your partner in consideration. You might regret the consequences.
3. A Fleeting Love: "Adventure Of A Lifetime" by Coldplay. "Now I feel my heart beating / I feel my heart underneath my skin / And I feel my heart beating / Oh, you make me feel like I’m alive again."
You spot this cutie and hit it off right away. You know it’s just “for a moment” thing, but after that, you can’t seem to take him off your mind.
What to do: Looks like you found yourself The One that Got Away. Take him as your inspiration but avoid all the hopia feels. Remember, he may just be looking for some fun with someone else. But admit it, it’s a good feeling to feel your heart flutter again like that, isn’t it?
4. Summer Fling-Turned-Affair: "Secret Love Song" by Little Mix feat. Jason Derulo. "Why can't you hold me in the street? / Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor? / I wish that it could be like that / Why can't we be like that? 'Cause I'm yours."
Here goes the problem: It’s nothing intentional, but those stolen moments with this somebody you just met instantly sparked a connection between the two of you. And now, you believe that he’s the one. The catch? Both of you are attached. Eek.
What to do: If you’re truly, firmly, sincerely convinced that you’re no longer in love with your current beau, be honest and tell him as soon as possible. You can’t escape him being hurt and feeling betrayed, but it’s better than keeping it a secret because you’re fooling yourselves in the process.
5. Uninterested: "No" by Meghan Trainor. "Thank you in advance, I don't wanna dance / I don't need your hands all over me / If I want a man, then I'mma get a man but it's never my priority / I was in my zone, before you came along, don't want you to take this personal."
It ended before it even started—you saw this gorgeous being and started making pa-cute for him to notice. But oops, sorry, not very keen on you.
What to do: Leave it be. Whether you’re the uninterested or the other person, play it cool because it’s summer! No pressure to get on with somebody, just go out with your friends! No broken hearts, no problem.
6. On For Good: "Rock Bottom" by Hailee Steinfield feat. DNCE. "We're on the right side of rock bottom / And to you I just keep crawling / You're the best kind of bad something / ‘Cause we keep on coming back for more."
In a relationship with someone you just met, there’s obviously no steady foundation. You find yourself in a kind of rocky situation in the few weeks that you decided to make it official. But the good news: You’re badly in love with each other, and want to make things work. There is such a thing as meeting The One in a getaway, and you’re one true believer now.
What to do: What else but make it work! Go out on dates more often, keep the communication lines open, and love each other more. It’s the best feeling ever—getting the love you’ve been looking for so long at an unexpected time of your life.
ALSO READ: The D Word: 5 Surefire Ways you Can Snag for Yourself A Hot Romance this Summer
Photograph screencapped from the Hailee Steinfield VEVO Youtube Channel