The latest season of Game of Thrones premieres on the last week of April, and fans can be rest assured that it’s going to be better than ever. Remember, the show has already caught up with the novels, which means none of us knows what’s going to happen next—no more book spoilers! But while the new episodes are almost here, your memory of what happened last season must be pretty hazy. And that’s perfectly understandable. After all, the show has tons of characters and dozens of ongoing plot thread. It’s not easy to keep up with a world that’s as sprawling as Westeros.
To save you time from re-watching previous episodes, we’ve created a season six primer that will get you up-to-speed on where our favorite characters are and remind you who still have their pretty heads on their shoulders.
1. Jon Snow: Is he, or isn’t he? Dead that is, because the last time we saw him, he was lying on a puddle of his own blood after getting butchered by the Night's Watch. The cast and the showrunners have all stated that Jon Snow is in fact deceased; but hey, this is a world where dragons and snow zombies exist, so it may very well not be the end of the road for the young Lord Commander. How he’ll return is perhaps the more proper question to ask, and there are several possibilities in which this could be done. Melisandre, Stannis Baratheon’s red priestess, arrived in The Wall just before all of this went down. Anything’s possible with her. And if you remember Beric Dondarrion from the third season who has been killed and resurrected several times, you just know that Jon Snow will come back in one form or another.
2. Daenerys Targaryen: Our dragon queen had to deal with all sorts of trouble in Mereen. First, there’s the mutinous faction Sons of the Harpy. There’s also the case of her runaway/flyaway dragon, Drogon, who luckily decided to show up in a timely manner and save his mother from sure death after being trapped in the fighting pits by the rebel group. Subsequently, Dany and Drogon found themselves in a verdant clearing, amongst the Dothraki. Let’s see where this unexpected reunion will go.
3. Tyrion Lannister: Tyrion somehow managed to escape King’s Landing after murdering his own pop and make his way to Daenerys in Mereen. The Imp was in a drunken stupor for a good stretch of the season. But once he made it to Mereen, we saw him regain a sense of duty, as he vowed to hold the city together in Daenerys’ absence. An in-charge Tyrion is always fun to watch, much like when he was Hand of the King.
4. Sansa Stark: Should we refer to her as “Sansa Bolton” now, after marrying Roose Bolton’s bastard son? That doesn’t have a nice ring to it; there’s also the fact that no one wants her anywhere near the maniacal Ramsay. It’s a good thing that Sansa was able to escape from the depraved clutches of her lunatic husband, as she and Theon Greyjoy (or what’s left of him, at least) jumped off the walls of Winterfell. We haven’t seen her or Theon since, though. The ideal scenario would’ve been landing right into the arms of Brienne, but we all know that the formidable swordswoman was busy with other things during that time.
5. Brienne of Tarth: Brienne made it her mission to bring the Stark girls back to safety. She didn’t do a good job in that regard towards the end of the fifth season when she chose to confront and execute Stannis Baratheon in the battlefield, which led to her missing getting a glimpse of Sansa. If she’ll be able to finally get a hold of Sansa, then that’s one out of two. Arya’s probably the trickier part.
6. Arya Stark: Arya wasn’t looking good when we last saw her. In fact, she’ll have trouble “looking” in the foreseeable future, seeing that she’s blind. The Faceless Men, her new masters, robbed Arya of her sight as punishment for not following their orders. She was supposedly training to be “no one,” but she wasn’t able to help herself when she found the opportunity to get revenge and murder Ser Meryn Trant. Arya’s a tough girl, though, she’d most likely find a way to get around her disability.
7. Stannis Baratheon: Last season, Stannis Baratheon kept himself busy by being the worst father of all time. His unspeakable acts include setting his own daughter on fire as a sacrifice to the Lord of Light. This drove his wife to commit suicide and for most of his men to abandon him. We last saw him in a losing effort against the Boltons in the outskirts of Winterfell and getting rightfully executed by Brienne. Good riddance.
8. Cersei Lannister: The Seven Kingdoms remain under King Tommen’s rule, who has been caught in between his mother Cersei and his wife Margaery Tyrell’s tug-of-war. To one-up Queen Margaery, Cersei empowered the Faith Militant, a faction of zealots led by the High Sparrow. By doing so, she was able to halt the advances of a Tyrell takeover by subjecting the queen and her brother to jail time via the Faith Militant’s judgement. This soon backfired on her when the religious fanatics set their sights on her immoral and incestuous relationship with her cousin, who recently became a member of the group. Cersei was sentenced to a walk of shame around the city, but was able to return thereafter to the castle, safely guarded by the newest Kingsguard member—“The Mountain,” who’s now a hulking zombie. Who knows how she’ll utilize her new pet to get even with the people that wronged her.
9. Jaime Lannister: Cersei wasn’t able to be protected by her brother-slash-lover Jaime since he was on a quest to retrieve their daughter Myrcella from Dorne, whose life was threatened by the Sand Snakes. While the Sand Snakes failed in their initial plan to murder Myrcella because Jaime and Bronn arrived in the nick of time, they were successful in their second attempt that resulted in the poor Lannister girl getting poisoned. As a consolation, at least she was able to die in her father’s arms after telling him that she knew that he was really her pop and that she loves him.
10. Bran Stark: After taking the previous season off, Bran Stark will return to the fray after growing a few inches and sharpening his psychic abilities with the Three-Eyed Raven. It’ll be interesting to see how he’ll figure into the upcoming events.
ALSO READ: Hot Stuff: 8 Artists We Want to See in Future Local Music Festivals