It’s a sad, sad day for the local entertainment industry as acclaimed director Wenn Deramas passed away. Known for directing teleseryes Mula Sa Puso, Ang Tanging Ina series, The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin, and most recently the ultra blockbuster film Beauty and the Bestie, Direk Wenn has provided unparalleled entertainment to millions of Filipinos, and at the same time made people. In light of his untimely passing, here are four movie lines (and a quote from Direk Wenn himself) that teach us a thing or two about the lives we live and the world we live in:
1. Mula Sa Puso. “Kahit anong sabihin niyo sa akin, tutulungan ko pa rin si Via. Kung kinakailangan, Gawain ko ulit at hindi ako magdadalawang-isip.” – Gabriel (Rico Yan) to Don Fernando (Juan Rodrigo).
No matter what the situation may be, one would do everything (and even risk his life) to save his loved one.
2. Ang Tanging Ina. “Walang matigas na tinapay sa gutom na tao.” – Ina Montecillo (Ai-Ai delas Alas).
People will naturally do anything and everything, no matter how difficult it may be, to survive.
3. The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin. "'Pag bakla, salot agad?" – Benjie Santos VIII (Vice Ganda).
We should not judge the LGBT community, because no doubt about it, they have made countless significant contributions to our society (case in point: Direk Wenn himself).
4. Beauty and the Bestie. “Oh diba nga wala tayo iwanan? Kahit ang sakit sakit na kumapit pa rin ako.” – Eric (Vice Ganda).
True friends will always have each other's backs.
5. On network wars. “Sana hindi umabot sa ganun kasi at the end of the day, kami-kami lang din ang magkikita, maliit lang din naman ito” – Direk Wenn on his tainted friendship with Ai-Ai. They may have been rivals during the 41st Metro Manila Film Festival, but at the end of the day, they all work in the same industry, and they should help each other in order to make local entertainment flourish to its fullest potential.
ALSO READ: 3 Quotes that Best Define the Legacy of Kuya Germs
Illustration by Jana Jimenez