You can try this recipe using cream cheese and salmon, and instead of bacon, substitute with your favorite chorizo, crispy corned beef hash, or leftover adobo flakes!
Bacon, Egg, and Tomato Croissant Squares
4 squares store-bought puff pastry
4 slices American cheese or any melting cheese, grated
4 bacon strips, cut into 2
extra egg, for brushing pastry
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Fold the sides of the puff pastry square over, squeezing the sides to create a well in the center of the square. Or else, slice 1-inch puff pastry strips and layer them around the sides of the puff pastry square to create the well.
3. Sprinkle the cheese inside the pastry well. Crack an egg into the pastry well and top with a slice of bacon.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk extra egg. Brush pastry with egg wash for a nice golden brown finish.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until egg yolk is cooked to liking.
6. While pastry is baking, in a separate pan, cook cherry tomatoes until skin is scored.
7. Once puff pastry is perfectly brown and the eggs and bacon are cooked, season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Top with cherry tomatoes for a pop of color.
ALSO READ: Kitchen Whiz: Eat Waffle, Have Proteins
Originally published in FOOD Magazine, Issue 3, 2015. Recipe by Portia Baluyut, styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz, photograph by Paul del Rosario. Check out more exciting stories and mouthwatering recipes in FOOD's latest issue, now out in major bookstores. FOOD is available in bookstores and on newsstands for P120. Download the FOOD Magazine app for access to all digital editions on your tablet or smartphone, available in Zinio, Android and Apple App Stores. Like FOOD on Facebook (www.facebook.com/FOODMagazine) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@FOODMagazine)