Did you know that waffles not only match well with chocolates or fruits? Proof: This savory waffle that's perfect for your less carbs-more protein fill.
Protein Overload Waffles
Serves 6 to 8
1 basic waffle recipe (see below)
8 lettuce or arugula leaves
6 to 8 large burger patties, grilled or pan-fried
8 strips bacon
8 fried eggs, sunny side up
ketchup, for drizzling
pinch of bottled garlic flakes
1. Prepare the basic waffle recipe. Cook in the waffle maker.
2. Transfer a waffle to a plate. Place lettuce on top. Add a burger patty, followed by bacon strips and fried egg.
3. Drizzle ketchup on top and sprinkle garlic flakes.
Basic Waffle Recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons sugar
melted butter or vegetable oil, for brushing
1. Sift together the two kinds of flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. Combine egg yolks, milk, and melted butter. Whisk into the sifted dry mixture until smooth.
3. In another bowl or electric mixer bowl, beat egg whites with 2 teaspoons sugar until stiff.
4. Fold the flour-egg-milk mixture into the beaten egg whites by hand. Cook the waffles in a waffle maker.
ALSO READ: Kitchen Whiz: These Chocolate Pancakes Will Instantly Brighten Up Your Day
Originally published in FOOD Magazine, Issue 3, 2015. Recipe and styling by Pixie Rodrigo Sevilla, photograph by Paulo Valenzuela. Check out more exciting stories and mouthwatering recipes in FOOD's latest issue, now out in major bookstores. FOOD is available in bookstores and on newsstands for P120. Download the FOOD Magazine app for access to all digital editions on your tablet or smartphone, available in Zinio, Android and Apple App Stores. Like FOOD on Facebook (www.facebook.com/FOODMagazine) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@FOODMagazine)