Easy Beef Goulash
Serves 4 to 6
Cook’s Note: This European classic is usually made with tender but more expensive cuts of beef like tenderloin, sirloin, or brisket. Make it lighter on the pocket without sacrificing taste by swapping with cheaper but flavorful meat cuts like oyster blade or chuck ribs.
1 tablespoon cooking oil, divided
3 strips bacon, chopped
3/4 kilo kalitiran (beef oyster blade), cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon fine black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons caraway seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 can (400 grams) diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups beef broth
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup sour cream
chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Heat a large heavy pot with 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until crisp and bacon oil has been extracted. Remove bacon from pan and let drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
2. In the same pot, pour remaining oil and add beef cubes to the pot with bacon fat. Brown evenly on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the beef and continue to stir to dissolve any lumps.
3. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, paprika, and caraway seeds. Stir for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
4. Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, and then allow to simmer for 1 hour, covered, stirring occasionally.
5. Add potatoes and reserved bacon. Continue to simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir sour cream into the goulash just before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.
7. Serve hot with pasta noodles or toasted crusty bread.
READ: This Pasta Sauce Tastes So Good Your Kids Won’t Know It’s Made of Veggies
Originally published in FOOD Magazine's June-July 2014. Recipe by Aby Nachura, styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz, photograph by Paulo Valenzuela. Follow FOOD Magazine on Instagram and like their official Facebook page.