Have you always dreamt of dating a rock star? Elaine Carag of Chalk surveys real women behind some of today’s hottest musicians—and here are some of the truths you have to find out about actually being with one!
1. There is a lot of waiting involved. In between him going to band rehearsals, setting up for gigs, packing up after a show, talking to friends, and taking pictures with fans, you are bound to spend the whole night (and/or morning) waiting for him.
2. He replies to your messages late. Don’t get mad, though. Of course, when he’s onstage swinging a guitar or serenading an audience, he won’t be able to read your “I love you, babe!” notes right away, but he will as soon as he steps off-stage—and he’ll love you for it!
3. Expect for him to get others’ messages, too. On social media, that is. His Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will definitely be filled with messages, mentions, and comments from sundry types of people, so you can’t really get mad if he happens to reply to other girls who show an interest in his music. (As long as that’s it!)
4. What date night? Since his job requires him to play at gigs at some bar or another, your dates are usually relegated in between his work—which usually starts at 8:00 p.m. at the earliest. Weekends are hectic, too, so weekdays will be your best bets at spending quality time together.
5. You’re bound to memorize his music. If you stick around for the whole songwriting-recording-mixing cycle of an EP or album or if you join him on one or two shows, you’ll easily learn all of the words in all of the songs. You won’t even need the CD inlay anymore.
6. Soon enough, you’ll realize that it’s okay to skip a show. Of course, you’re proud of what he does. When you’ve been at it for long, though, watching him play at the usual bar (his “office”) will, at some point, kind of feel like him watching you type on your computer as you tinker with an Excel worksheet.
7. You’ll find yourself in places unknown. Wherever they’re invited to play, there you’ll be, so you’re sure to hang out where you normally wouldn’t even think of going, say, a small campus in a new city, a new bar in your neighborhood, or a huge field out of town.
8. You also get prime real estate at gigs. No suffocating in crowds or elbowing your way through a mosh pit. Not only do you get to watch his band and others, you get to do so backstage, side stage, and, sometimes, even on the stage. (Literally, stage girlfriend.)
9. Speaking of, you’ll definitely have your stage girlfriend moments. Even if you’re not the type, you’re sure to be so overcome with pride at some point in his career that you’ll patiently wait backstage, camera, water bottle, and extra t-shirt in hand to support him. You just can’t help it.
10. It saves you money, too. Well, you get to drink for free! Cheers to that!
11. You’ll make a lot of new friends! You’ll inevitably meet a lot of people along the way. His bandmates, their girlfriends, their friends, their families, the management, the crew, and their fans will eventually become your wolf pack at gigs.
12.You will melt every single time he looks at you from the stage. That moment when you lock eyes with him in the middle of a performance—nakakakilig kasi, okay?
Credits: Photography Paul Del Rosario | Styling RJ Roque | Makeup Gex Garcia of L’Oréal Philippines and Edna Eleria using BYS Cosmetics | Hair Ethan David | Models Yheen Valero and Beatriz Yu of Yeoh Models
This story was published in Chalk magazine with the title "I'm With the Band" and is available in all leading bookstores. Like Chalk on Facebook (www.facebook.com/chalkmagazine) and follow them on Twitter (@workingmommag).