Calamansi Tart with Coconut Crust
Makes 1 8-inch tart
3/4 cup butter cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons toasted desiccated coconut
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup calamansi juice
8 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups whipped cream
1/4 cup toasted desiccated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a round 8-inch Springform or tart pan and line with baking paper.
2. Combine butter cookie crumbs, coconut, sugar and melted butter. Press mixture into the buttered and lined pan to form an even crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3. To make the calamansi curd, combine calamansi juice, egg yolks, whole eggs, cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over low heat until it reaches 84°C, stirring continuously. Cool mixture to 45°C. Then fold in the softened butter.
4. Pour calamansi curd over the baked cookie crust. Cover curd with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
5. Place freshly whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with toasted desiccated coconut.
Change it up: For a mellower, less sour taste, you can bake the tart again after filling it with calamansi curd. Just sprinkle powdered sugar over the curd filling and bake for about 10 minutes. Or you can set the filling, sprinkle sugar then torch the top just like with crème brûlée.
Recipe by Pixie Rodrigo-Sevilla, originally published in Food Magazine. Photograph by Paulo Valenzuela. Styling by Tina Concepcion-Diaz. Chef’s Classics tart pan and light blue cake stand courtesy of SM Department Store.