Tropical Fruit Trifle
Serves 6 to 8
1 kilo frozen tropical fruits like mangoes, bananas, papaya (freeze fruits in advance)
1/2 cup sugar pinch of salt
8 store-bought plain mini-sponge cakes or mamon, sliced into 1-inch strips
1/2 cup cake syrup (1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar heated until sugar dissolves)
3 cups fresh papaya, mangoes and bananas, sliced or diced pastry cream (recipe below)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Mash frozen tropical fruits with 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Brush sponge cakes with cake syrup and tear into large pieces. Layer bread on the bottom of a 14-cup (5- x 7-inch) trifle dish or bowl.
3. Spread 1 generous cup of macerated fruits over the top. Add pastry cream (recipe below) and 1 cup of fresh fruits. Repeat layering twice more. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Whip heavy cream to medium peaks with sugar and spoon over top. Garnish with fresh fruits.
Frozen Fruit Tips: Use as a topping for ice cream or simply eat as is. And here’s a clever idea: chill your favorite cocktails with frozen fruit cubes instead of ice cubes.
Variation: For a more traditional crumble, opt for cold weather fruits like apples, pears or peaches.
How to make the pastry cream:
1 1/2 cups + 5 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup +2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup whipped cream
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, salt and vanilla bean. Bring to just under a boil.
2. In a second bowl, whisk together cornstarch and sugar, then whisk in eggs.
3. Add a ladle of hot liquid to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat twice, then whisk egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in pot.
4. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until bubbling and thick, about 2 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve. Whisk in butter.
5. Place plastic wrap directly over the cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
6. Before using, whisk to loosen the cream. Fold 1 cup pastry cream into 1 cup whipped cream.
Recipe originally published in Food Magazine. Photograph from unsplash.com.