Want to go the extra mile when it comes to celebrating your graduation, or of someone in your family, aside from the usual dinner out? Here's some inspiration from Sofia Andres, Julia and Marjorie Barretto, Rica Peralejo, Iya Villania, and Nikki Gil, who each had unique takes on giving grad season that extra oomph:
1. Have a sumptuous feast at home with the family. Marjorie Barretto prepared a feast for the graduation of her daughter Julia and son Leon last year, and took time off her schedule by cooking meals for the whole Barretto family.
2. Throw a surprise party for your graduating friends. Iya Villania’s parents and her close friends, which include John Prats, Shaina Magdayao, Nikki Gil, Billy Crawford, and Anne Curtis surprised her with a grand party when she graduated in 2009. Even her then-boyfriend (now husband) Drew Arellano flew in from Hong Kong right after a marathon in time to surprise and personally congratulate Iya for finishing school—now that’s true love!
3. Share your graduation photo. With majority of us active on social media, one of the easiest ways to share your graduation feels is by posting your graduation photo—even if you've long graduated already, just like what Nikki Gil did last year, when she shared both husband BJ Albert's and her own graduation photos, eliciting major awwws from her followers.
4. Share your graduation thoughts and feels. Why not blog about your insights and learnings? Rica Peralejo has got a grad blog post that's so beautifully written, it's worthy to be read by generations to come.
5. Wear your school’s toga loud and proud. Aside from wearing your toga to school on graduation day, why not wear it at home, and take photos of yourself in it, #OOTD style? Robi Domingo might have missed his actual high school graduation because he was inside the Pinoy Big Brother House in 2008, but he proudly wore his Ateneo toga inside the PBB house!
6. Take as many selfies as possible. With phones having front-facing cameras that have good image resolutions, why not take selfies of yourself during graduation day, and with your classmates, friends, teachers, and even your parents—as many as you can, to remember this special day by? Compile all of those photos, and you can come up with a collection of graduation day selfies that you can turn into a scrapbook someday. Look at that cute family selfie of Sofia Andres!
ALSO READ: A Budding Chef? Let Julia Montes Surprise You
Banner Illustration by Jana Jimenez. Photographs from Instagram.com/marjbarretto, Instagram.com/iamsofiaandres, Instagram.com/nikkigil, and ricaperalejo.ph