After months of searching for the best high school dance crews across Mega Manila, nine have been chosen to compete for the Grand Champion title in the upcoming “Myx Moves” Grand Championship 2017, happening at the Kia Theatre on October 14.
Big prizes are in store. The dance crew hailed as MYX Moves Grand Champion will receive P100,000 cash prize while one lucky dancer will walk away with P10,000.
Get to know each of dance crews battling it out this year and cast your vote for your MYX Supreme Mover until October 13, 2017 (11:59PM). MYX is on Skycable channel 23. For more information visit www.myxmoves.myxph.com or like www.facebook.com/MYX.Philippines on Facebook. You can also follow @MYXPhilippines on Twitter or @myxph on Instagram. Tickets are priced at P350 (VIP), P250 (orchestra), and P150 (loge & balcony) at all TicketNet outlets and at the Smart Araneta Coliseum box office. For inquiries, please call 911-5555.
1. Dance X (Xavier School). Dance X came about in 2003, and has a total of 35 members to date. They aren’t new to the world of dance competitions. They’ve joined several over the years including NDC, Skechers, Ego Supremew Crew Wars.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "We are very dynamic. We always try our best to explore on different styles. We are always palaban, but we make sure we enjoy our time on stage."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "It’s very unique. The EDM genre of music has become very popular recently in the international music scene, and it is about time that we help our EDM talents show what they’ve got."
2. Marist High Impact (Marist School). In 2004, The Marist High School Dance Club consisted of only 15 students. They would perform for different school presentations and eventually joined outside competitions. The club has since renamed itself as Marist High Impact (MHI) and has grown to 46 members.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "The brotherhood, family spirit, and faith in God that binds them together."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "Its a great move because it gives a chance to showcase our home-grown talents to the community."
3. PCS Street (Paco Catholic School). PCS Street was established in 2015, when the Paco Catholic School needed representation in a streetdance competition. After that competition, the PCS Street continued to represent the school and was soon named its official dance varsity team.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "Our style of performing a routine always contains a message, Combining it with some creative concepts and stories altogether makes us unique."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "We love this idea of using OPM because we are a fan of doing routines that is OPM, we actually acquired three championships where we used pure OPM. Promoting OPM is a great kind of nationalism and it also helps the culture here in our country."
4. SHS Aglaia (School Of The Holy Spirit). The team started out as a club. Students who wished to join auditioned and 40 students were accepted. 16 students were then selected to be part of the competing team.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "Over time, the team has developed multiple strengths, the most important ones being unity, diversity, and synchronicity. As a team, we’re drawn to different challenges but despite this, we come out strong because of these core values and strengths that shape us to be the best version of ourselves and push us to grow further."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "It’s a great opportunity for people to recognize fresh and homegrown talents, since most of the music used today is internationally adapted. Foreign music is often seen as of better quality than local music, and Myx allowing local names to promote their music definitely breaks that stereotype through incorporating them in the dance routines of different teams."
5. Terpsichore (St. Paul College Pasig). Terpsichore started as dance club in 2005. Two of its members suggested they call themselves Terpsichore, after the Muse and goddess of dance and chorus in Greek mythology. The name stuck, as those who joined the group in the 12 years that followed believe it’s brought them luck.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "I believe that Terpsichore members are united despite the schedule, number of days in training, [and] individual differences. They are all committed and dedicated in showing and doing what they love for the people they love. We are happy that the girls know how to handle and manage their time, especially [because] most of them are Seniors. They know how to balance their academics and extra-curricular activities. Many of them are leaders in their classroom and in their batch. They are always willing to take challenges. They are all open to try different dance styles. Most of all, they are being molded and handled by their dedicated and passionate coaches [while being] supported by their parents and the school."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "First, having this idea in this dance competition is really challenging because you have to adjust your choreography and style with the music/song that you will be assigned to. Despite this, we appreciate MYX making a way for us to communicate with the DJs who made them. They are very accommodating and helpful when it comes to revising the music. Also, this is a very good way to promote OPM. There are a lot of international DJs who are good but we believe that it is about time to promote and be proud of our local artists. We are happy that we are able to help patronize the Philippines' music industry."
6. Dominican College Dance Troupe (Dominican College). It all began in 1997, when the school recognized its students dance and performance potential. Students from different high school levels can audition represent their alma mater and be part of the DCDT family.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "Our compassion, loyalty and encouragement from each other."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "It’s one way of appreciating the culture of our own country."
7. DANSSA (School of St. Anthony). DanSSA started as a dance club back in the 90's. It was first facilitated by school teachers and by 2002, it was recognized as a dance varsity team. DanSSA became one of the most prominent performing arts organizations not only in its own campus, but also in local and international dance competitions.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "The versatility of each individuals in executing different dance styles."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "It’s really great for the whole MYX team [to] not only for patronizing local names in dancing and EDM but also finding all these amazing people who are really passionate about their craft and helping them to be well known locally [and] internationally."
8. CSA Dance Troupe (Colegio San Agustin). The squad was formed by a group of students with a common yet fervent passion for dance. With the help of their coach and school support, they improved over time and more opportunities came their way.
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "We dance with heart. We go above the idea of not only wanting to win or wanting to impress the audience, but wanting to give our all for the people who supported us throughout our journey. We treat every dance like its our last while keeping in mind [that] the reason we dance is because it is our passion."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "Using local names in dancing and in EDM is a great way of appreciating the talents & artistry we have in our country. We think that by doing this, Myx is able to uphold the Filipino pride. Myx is allowing Filipinos the opportunity to show case their talents, their dedication and passion in what they do. It is very admirable."
9. Chikletz (Bulihan National High School).
What do you think is your squad’s strength? "I think our squad's strength is our uniqueness. In every competition we join, we want to be different from other crews because we want to be easily recognized by the people and the judges. We believe that being unique can be [a] key advantage over other crews."
What do you think of MYX Moves patronizing local names in dancing and in EDM? "Myx Moves gives every dancers a chance to show their talents in dancing. It was a very big help for us to build our mind and confidence to join different competitions. Myx Moves addresses [caters to] beginning crews and EDM."