It was a chaos last weekend—but in a good way. The SMX Convention Hall was taken over by music fans as Coca-Cola Philippines launched Coke Studio Philippines, a campaign that brings OPM veterans and up-and-coming artists to collaborate and produce refreshing covers of their tracks as well as new songs you’d never expect from these musicians.
It is indeed exciting times for the local music scene, made stronger by this move. Imagine mainstay bests and new favorites come together for a new song to include in our playlist—we just can’t wait for what they’ll come up with! Here are the seven team-ups with songs we just can’t wait to hear. Listen up!
1. Noel Cabangon x Curtismith. Their first song together was actually released during the launch. Entitled, “Payong Kaibigan,” it captures Noel’s classic folk sound and the rapper’s spot-on verse delivery, with modern beats to accompany this string-heavy composition. Definitely a must-listen to all millennials (read into the lines—they have legit “payong kaibigan” for you!)
2. Gab & John of Urbandub x The Ransom Collective. They’re up next episode, and it’s interesting how alternative rock will suit the indie folk youngsters, and vise versa. What we’re sure though, is a song with impeccable lyrics, which these two bands are known for.
3. Moonstar88 x Jensen and The Flips. We had a taste of how these collaboration will sound, thanks to the Moonstareros Night event last July at 70s Bistro. If you weren’t there, just imagine your ultimate hugot matched with eargasmic sound. We’re not even sure if we can handle it! Oh, and for more tease, here’s a video where Jensen Gomez joins Moonstar88 for the OPM favorite, “Ako’y Sa’yo, Ika’y Akin.”
4. Sandwich x BP Valenzuela. Will electro-pop suit Sandwich? How can alternative rock put a twist to BP’s sound? We’ll find out soon enough!
5. Abra x Gracenote. Power for power! Pop music and rap are common collaborations, but we’ll see how Abra and Gracenote’s pairing will amp up these genres more.
6. Ebe Dancel x Autotelic. Ebe’s sound will make you close your eyes and sing along, letting yourself get swayed with his soulful voice and heartfelt lyrics. Autotelic will make you dance and sing along, getting you pumped up for more action. We can't think of a more captivating alliance!
7. Franco x Reese Lansangan. The powerhouse band will have a good addition in the form of the quirky Reese. Rock blended with sweetness, this team-up promises an intriguing take on OPM sound.
Which collaboration are you most excited to hear? Comment below!
ALSO READ: In Focus: How to Have the Best Time At A Live Concert