It’s one thing to live in the shadow of your family but when your mom, dad, titos, and titas are well-known personalities in local showbiz, making a name for oneself and staying relevant can be especially hard.
Many children of famous folks eventually find it in themselves to give acting, singing, dancing, or hosting a try. Others try their hand in professions outside showbiz. And yet, they are constantly scrutinized or compared to what their relatives have already achieved in the past.
[related: Hottie Alert: Kaila, Gabs, Ella, Marella, and Addie Are So Much More Than Their Famous Last Names]
We rounded up 11 guys, who despite having famous last names and despite having doors opened for them, have emerged as their own selves:
1. Daniel Padilla. Fans all over the country just can't get enough of Rommel Padilla and Karla Estrada's heartthrob son.
With highly successful teleseryes and movies under his belt, Daniel Padilla has proven early on that he has earned his rightful place in the world of showbiz.
Luckily for us, we don't have to wait too long for his next project. His latest flick with leading lady (and rumored girlfriend), Kathryn Bernardo, Can't Help Falling In Love will be showing on April 15.
2. Donny Pangilinan. He’s not even 20 yet, but the son of Maricel Laxa and Anthony Pangilinan is already charming everyone with his good looks and great hosting skills.
Standing at 6’1’’, he played for the basketball varsity of his alma mater, Brent International School Manila. He’s also good at solving Rubik’s Cubes. Plus, ladies, he’s currently single!
Catch him every day of the week on MYX (Pop MYX, MYX Daily Top 10, My MYX, and Pinoy Edition).
[related: The Six Fix: The Chill Celeb Menswear Athleisure Looks We've Been Loving]
3. Arjo Atayde. Arjo first came onto the scene as son of veteran actress Sylvia Sanchez. But in recent years, he has also proven his mettle in a number of Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes and successful teleseryes such as Pure Love, Wansapanataym, and Nathaniel.
His most current role is that of bad boy Joaquin Tuazon in Ang Probinsyano. But outside of acting, he enjoys working out and traveling in and around the Philippines.
[related: In Focus: 10 Reasons Why Primetime Hottie Arjo Atayde Is A Worthy Showbiz Crush]
4. Diego Loyzaga. Despite the ongoing rift between him and his father, Cesar Montano, the 21-year-old doesn't disappoint with his modeling, VJ, and acting chops.
We’ll never forget the time he was on Forevermore or his stellar performance on Maalaala Mo Kaya last year. In the meantime, we’ll be patiently waiting to see him up on the big screen for the suspense thriller film Bloody Crayons.
5. Mavy Legaspi. The son of Carmina Villaroel and Zoren Legaspi certainly inherited his parents' good genes. He just turned 16, and already he is turning heads!
He loves basketball and the NBA, photography, working out, and socializing.
And while he's said in the past that he wants to pursue acting in the future, he'll follow mom and dad and finish school first.
6. Luis Hontiveros. Luis may have been eliminated from the Pinoy Big Brother house last December, but it wasn’t the last we saw of him.
Since helping campaign for his Tita Risa Hontiveros last year, the 24-year-old Mass Communication graduate continues to heat up the small screen and runways he appears in.
7. Luis Manzano. Another Luis to swoon over, the son of Vilma Santos and Edu Manzano has established himself as a bonafide gameshow host, model, and movie actor.
You can see more of him on Minute to Win It on weekdays and Celebrity Playtime on weekends.
8. Brian Poe Llamanzares. Showbiz and politics certainly run in the family for this 24-year-old. He’s the grandson of actor and one-time presidential candidate Fernando Poe Jr. He also campaigned for his mom, Senator Grace Poe, when she ran for the top seat in Malacañang (which he subsequently left his stint as a newscaster for).
Today, Brian wears multiple hats as a political consultant, Habitat for Humanity Youth Ambassador, and PGH Youth Ambassador. But one look at his Instagram is enough to tell that’s he’s quite the adventurer, too! He’s definitely someone to play football or go diving, sailing, and trekking with.
9. Vince Velasco. Vince got into acting for a time, with one of his earliest TV roles being a gay character for a primetime teleserye. But while he is the eldest son of sports anchor Bill Velasco and brother to a model who is just as handsome as he is, Vince is making waves in other fields, too.
These days, you’ll likely spot him lending his good looks to commercials, hosting events, or training at Flyweight Boutique Boxing Studio, which he co-owns, in Bonifacio Global City.
10. Vico Sotto. We see Coney Reyes a lot on the small screen, as a successful heart surgeon on My Dear Heart. But her son, Vico, opted for a different kind of life in the public eye.
After completing his Political Science Degree at Ateneo De Manila University, 27-year-old Vico went straight into government. He now serves as a City Councilor of Pasig.
Even so, he'll make time in his busy schedule to spend time with those he cares about. Gotta love someone who knows how to balance work and family!
11. Inigo Pascual. The 19-year-old son of Piolo Pascual has done almost everything from TV and movie appearances, to modeling, to dancing, and now promoting his recently launched album under Star Music.
Although Inigo is also busy right now with school (he told Push that he’s taking up a business course at Enderun), we’re so stoked for the other projects he has lined up!
ALSO READ: In Focus: The Celeb Studs We’d Be Down To Date
Photographs from Instagram.com/arjoatayde, Instagram.com/heyitsbrianpoe, Instagram.com/donny_pangilinan, Instagram.com/vincevelasco23, Instagram.com/familyfeudph, Instagram.com/luckymanzano, Instagram.com/iminigopascual, Instagram.com/luishontiveros7, Instagram.com/supremo_dp, Instagram.com/bernardokath, Instagram.com/flyweight.ph, twitter.com/ilovemavycassy, entertaniment.abs-cbn.com, www.forumbiodiversity.com, and en,mediamass.net / Banner by Jana Jimenez