“Funny is the new sexy,” Kakai Bautista quipped, as she, impersonator extraordinaire Jon Santos, and stand-up comedian Rex Navarrete brought a thousand-strong crowd inside Newport Theater to endless laughter with their varying stints, spiels, and performances. There was Rex’s chronicles of his life as a Pinoy living in America, Kakai’s journey as a thespian, and Jon’s on-the-spot impersonation of Filipino personalities.
Here are our fave lines from their hilarious post-Valentine's show:
1. "Once the lechon arrives, everyone stops." – Rex Navarrete, explaining how much Filipinos love lechon, be it at a party or a funeral
2. "Eat too much, and it will lock and block your heart." – Rex on why he is very cautious of consuming too much chicharon bulaklak even when he loves the snack
3. "Buy one, take one, buy now, die later." – Jon Santos, dressed as Sen. Leila de Lima, on the flourishing business of funeral parlors nowadays
4. "The rest is not history, the rest is chemistry." – Jon, dressed as Sen. Leila de Lima, on the senator's relationship with Ronnie Dayan
5. "I will fight to love again!" – Jon, dressed as Sen. Leila de Lima, on fighting for her rights as a woman
6. "It is the greatest potluck [of words] ever!" – Rex, describing the diversity of the American English vocabulary
7. "America deserves utot from us. America is ready for utot!" – Rex, suggesting the next Filipino word that should be adopted by the American vernacular, after "kutis," "amok," and "bundok."
8. "Anyone who talks against us are hanged." – Jon, dressed as Imelda Marcos, giving her definition of" tokhang" during Martial Law.
9. "Hindi na kami Mocha Girls… Mocha Sisters of Change na kami!" – Kakai Bautista, dressed as Mocha Uson, on the change of the Mocha Girls' identity after Uson's appointment as MTRCB board member
10. "Filipinos found love in two-way streets!" – Kakai, as herself, on how Filipinos deal with EDSA traffic nowadays, especially during Valentine's Day.
11. "Laughter happens when souls go out to play." – Jon, as himself, on why it is important for people to have a good dose of laughs.
ALSO READ: In Focus: Timeless Lessons From The One And Only Love and Laughter Expert, Vice Ganda
Photographs courtesy of Resorts World Manila