In the 1990s until the first half of the new millennium, one of the most awaited things during Halloween season was Magandang Gabi Bayan’s Halloween Specials, hosted by Kabayan Noli de Castro. For several years until 2005, these MGB episodes have gotten people intrigued and curious about the paranormal with its convincing reenactments, and narration from witnesses and Kabayan himself. This year, in time for the return of Magandang Gabi Bayan's "Kababalaghan" specials for a one-time run, we picked out five of their spookiest episodes:
1. The episode that tackled first-hand sightings of vampires (aswang in Filipino), with eyewitness accounts, strengthened our belief about their existence:
2. Our perceptions about schools (at night) became different after this episode detailing ghost sightings at the University of the Philippines Los Baños.
3. The tragic past of Manila Film Center has been well-documented, but this episode confirmed the eerie things seen and heard inside the massive film theater.
4. Most of us never saw cemeteries the same way again after this episode about the existence of a demon in a cemetery in Malabon.
5. Legends of a “white lady” appearing along the streets of Loakan Road in Baguio at night, along with eyewitness encounters, has made many believe in the existence of a “white lady” not just in Loakan Road, but in other places around the Philippines.
Magandang Gabi Bayan's Hallowen special made a comeback in 2011 in the form of a documentary special called Kababalaghan, and now five years after, another special is underway with new hair-raising stories to spook you this Halloween (and possibly, the rest of their lives). Check out the teaser video below:
ALSO READ: The Six Fix: DIY Trick-Or-Treat Delights You Can Make At Home
Banner photograph from Instagram.com/enzolacap_