Thanks to Disney, Star Wars fans will be getting a new film set in the galaxy far, far away every year. While that’s much better than not having new Star Wars movies at all, the annual dose may not be enough for true-blue Jedis. So, what to do then while we wait for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story? There’s another great Star Wars story that every fanatic should be watching—Star Wars Rebels. Below, we answer your questions about it and tell you the reasons why it’s a must-watch.
What is it?
Star Wars Rebels is a 3D CGI animated show set fourteen years after the events of Star Wars: Episode 3 – Revenge of the Sith. This is the period wherein the Empire, led by Darth Vader, has taken over the galaxy and is hunting down every last Jedi Knight. Naturally, a rebellion is brewing—and this is where our protagonists come in.
Who are the characters?
The show features compelling new main characters who compose the ragtag rebel group aboard the starship Ghost. Here’s a brief backgrounder on each:
1. Ezra Bridger - A teenage street urchin slash con artist with Force abilities. His initial weapon-of-choice is an energy slingshot; but of course, he eventually picks up a lightsaber.
2. Kanan Jarrus – The leader of the Ghost Crew and Ezra’s mentor. He’s a different breed of Jedi, not the kind that we’re accustomed to from the movies. Like Darth Maul, he wields a sweet two-piece, dual-phase lightsaber.
3. Hera Syndulla – Described by the show’s creators as the heart of the crew, she’s the owner and the pilot of the starship Ghost.
4. Sabine Wren – One of the more colorful characters in this series, Sabine is a Mandalorian weapons expert who tags her armor with new art every time the rebels hit Imperial targets.
5. Zeb Orrielios – If Hera is the heart, then Zeb is the muscle. Fun fact: His appearance is based on the original conceptual artwork for Chewbacca.
6. Ahsoka Tano – She’s a former Jedi Padawan who provides intelligence to the rebels in support of their fight against the Galactic Empire. And oh, Ahsoka wields a pair of badass white lightsabers.
7. Chopper – He’s the series’ R2-D2. All you need to know is that you’ll love this droid.
Are there characters from the films?
Star Wars fanatics would be thrilled to know that there’s more than a handful of characters from the movies that crossover to Rebels. Since our protagonists will be taking arms against Empire, we of course see Imperial villains Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. We won’t tell you who the rest are to avoid being spoiler-y—you’ll just have to see them for yourselves.
Why watch it?
Again, Rebels should tide you over until Rogue One makes its landing in movie theaters. But more than that, the show further expands the Star Wars mythology and enriches its universe. Here’s a bonus: The creators are also teasing a crossover of the Rebels characters to the live-action films!
How long is it?
The first season debuted two years ago, while Rebels' much-anticipated third season just began. It won’t take you that long to catch up. Binge it!
Every Star Wars fanatic shouldn’t miss Star Wars Rebels. Watch it, you must.
ALSO READ: In Focus: A Look Back At Why The World Was Addicted To Breaking Bad
Images from the official site of Star Wars and the Star Wars Rebels Facebook Page.