It's always tricky, decorating our homes. First, you have to think of your budget. Second, you have to make it your own. Third, you have to fit the furniture with the space you have. With all these in mind, tips can really come in handy.
And these are what shoppers got (and more!) during the Metro Home x H&M Create event that happened last August 9. Aside from a special discount exclusively for the affair (guests had a great time hoarding home stuff), they were in for a treat—gracing the occasion are top interior designers of the country, no less, who shared their Modern Home Styling 101!
[related: Hot Stuff: Meet 30 of the Country's Design Leaders in Metro Home & Entertaining's June Issue]
Anton Barretto, Tessa Prieto-Valdes, and Tessa Alindogan
Missed the event? We're here to save the day. Note these down and schedule space revamp, version 2.0 ASAP!
1. Start with bigger pieces. Tessa Alindogan, interior designer and contributing editor of Metro Home & Entertaining Magazine, advised to look at the space well and think of want you want first. From there, get your choice of sofa, coffee table, lamps, and other big furniture before going to the smaller pieces. It'll help in adjusting and balancing the furnishings.
2. Neutrals equate to modern. Since we're talking modern here, Tessa sticks to the look with a neutral color palette. But she says, "You can always use any color, though. If you like pink, just mix it with probably chocolate brown or gray. Balance is really important."
3. Go romantic! On the other hand, Tessa Prieto-Valdes, who decorated the bedroom vignette at the event, has another opinion. "My inspiration is romantic, sweet but not too feminine. There's elegance and it's timeless." Her color of choice? Red. "It is the color of love. For the single women, just use red sheets and I'm telling you, you will have a boyfriend. Towels, bed sheets, and pillowcases, anything in red will bring love." Girls, take note! *wink*
4. Color power. Just make sure you use complementing colors, and nothing too flashy or out of scheme. [related: Design Tips: Let Jodi Sta. Maria Royal Enclave Inspire You to Play with Colors]
5. Accessorize! Especially if your space is quite big, home accessories are your saving grace. Start with classy metallics, then add subtle elements that make the look more you. Vintage pieces or indoor plants are great choices!
ALSO READ: In Focus: Let's Take A Walk Down the Memory Lane Right into James Reid's Family Home in Makati
Photographs from Instagram.com/seaprincess888, Instagram.com/mommy_rockininstyle_blog, Instagram.com/impatootie, and Instagram.com/erikauich.