Just a few months ago, Miss Universe president Paula Shugart talked about the possibility of the Philippines hosting the next Miss Universe Pageant. This might just become a reality, as Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach revealed during her Facebook live chat on July 13 that she will be meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte on July 18 to discuss plans regarding the country’s possible hosting of the next Miss Universe pageant.
“Right now it’s in the works, [and] hopefully, fingers crossed, it’s the one that I’ve been praying for," Pia said. For the initial plans, Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro revealed that they will be needing support from the private sector, as an estimated budget of $10 to 12 million is needed should Manila be selected to host the pageant.
There's just another teeny bit hurdle, though, besides the budget: The next Miss Universe pageant is slated for January 30, 2017, but January is packed with major events like Chinese New Year and Sinulog Festival. Tourism Secretary Wanda Corazon Teo, who is pushing for the pageant to be held in Manila, is proposing for the pageant to be moved to May instead,
Should things go as planned, we really just might get to have Miss Universe held here after 22 years (the last one was in 1994, which was won by Miss India Sushmita Sen). This early, and so many people can’t contain their excitement already!
1. So, where should it be held, really?
2. City of Dreams Manila sounds like a cozy place for the candidates to stay in, don’t you think?
3. An alternative home for the ladies? This netizen suggests Manila Bay Resorts, located at Entertaiment City. Candidates will love the view of Manila Bay for sure!
4. Yes, Steve Harvey will be hosting Miss Universe again! (Hopefully no more booboos for Steve):
5. We have to remember one thing though: It’s all up to Duterte to implement an Executive Order for the Philippines to host the next Miss Universe pageant. #MakeItHappen
6. But before anything else, let's hope the country's perennial traffic problem gets solved first. *fingers crossed*:
ALSO READ: Hot Stuff: Why Pia Wurtzbach is So Sure that #OliPia Can Withstand the Test of Distance
Banner photograph from the Miss Universe Facebook Page