It was another sad day in the entertainment industry as pop culture icon Prince suddenly passed away on April 21. While he has carried many names, among which include the "love symbol," it is cannot be denied that in one way or another, Prince has made significant contributions to society, be it through his music style or how he portrayed himself in real life:
Among the number of quotable quotes he has made in interviews (while being known to not allow recorded interviews and prohibit interviewers from taking down notes), here are nine of our favorites from Mr. Purple Rain himself:
1. "The key to longevity is to learn every aspect of music that you can." Prince’s constant experimentation with music (which include fusing genres together) helped him become relevant from the '70s to the 2010s, spanning 39(!) studio albums.
2. “Sometimes it takes years for a person to become an overnight success.” Just like Prince’s career, it took awhile for him to establish the success and recognition he has received for his body of work.
3. “Music is music, ultimately. If it makes you feel good, cool.” This would be Prince’s way of saying walang basagan ng trip. What’s important is you like what you are listening or doing.
4. "What's missing from pop music is danger." By danger, Prince meant taking risks and doing things that are out of your comfort zone. Never mind the possible criticism and backlash: What’s important is at least you tried.
5. “All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you.” We may appreciate how technology has improved our lives, but he reminds us that we should not be totally dependent on them.
(From Daily Mirror, July 2010 as told to Peter Willis)
6. "Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is beautiful." Whenever you are feeling down, think of every new day as another opportunity to bounce back. Even Prince had his share of bad moments, mind you.
7. “When you don’t talk down to your audience, then they can grow with you. I give them a lot of credit to be able to hang with me this long, because I’ve gone through a lot of changes, but they’ve allowed me to grow, and thus we can tackle some serious subjects and try to just be better human beings, all of us.” Real friends (in Prince’s case, his fans) are those that have been with you from your humble beginnings, and have accepted the changes you have made to yourself without judgment (unless of course they're bad for you).
8. "Oh, I love critics. Because they love me. It's not a joke. They care." Instead of Prince saying “haters gonna hate,” he chose to love his critics instead. After all, Prince had a point when he said that critics actually care about his work.
9. “Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people.” He may be flamboyant with his lyrics, his performances, and his outfits, but one thing is for sure: Prince is unapologetic when it comes to his style because he is simply showing his real self.
ALSO READ: The Six Fix: David Bowie’s Well-Loved Lyrics
Banner Illustration by Jana Jimenez