On top of an ample dose of sunshine, people still want different things out of summer. So whether it’s young love or crashing waves you're after, here’s a list of movies you can watch to get your flick fix depending on what you want out of the scorching hot season:
1. For magic, cooking in the kitchen, and romance. A 1999 fantasy/drama film about a terrible chef and a magical crab that works wonders, Simply Irresistible stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Sean Patrick Flanery. If you're in for some wonder, kitchen sorcery, and a little lovin', then this film is worth-digging into.
2. For that deep desire to know what’s out there. Based on the novel by Lois Lowry, The Giver (2014) stars Brenton Thwaites and Odeya Rush. Fun fact: Taylor Swift also appears in the movie. So if you're thinking about setting on a voyage of your own to explore unknown territories, this film is a must-see.
3. For chance encounters, pleasant surprises, and human connections. A top favorite from director Richard Linklater’s body of work is the Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight trilogy that stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. This trilogy just lets you in on a realistic portrayal of strangers, their loneliness, and their bravery to go against the odds.
4. For road trips and the family you bring with you. Little Miss Sunshine (2006) shows you the hidden gems and fun, heartfelt moments behind a family that transcends all things. The film stars Abigail Breslin, Steve Carrell, and Paul Dano.
5. For things you experience but can’t put a finger on. There are just some forces quite so strong that you experience but can’t explain. The film In Your Eyes (2014) starring Zoe Kazan and Michael Stahl-David tells a timeless romantic story and the supernatural elements you find, inside you and in another person.
6. For a life of charity and self-discovery. Nothing depicts these two themes more than the 2007 film, Into the Wild. Based on the non-fiction book by Jon Krakauer that teaches you "happiness is only real when shared," this movie stars Emile Hirsch, Vince Vaughn, Kristen Stewart and directed by Sean Penn.
ALSO READ: The D Word: 5 Surefire Ways You Can Snag for Yourself A Hot Romance This Summer
Photographs from glamorous-smg.com, amazon.com, imoviequotes.com, and blu-ray.com