We all love our cheese, yes? This unique spin on our favorite bread companion is a play of sweet and salty, a true delight inside your mouth. The balance of all the flavors, without compromising on its cheesiness, makes this an outstanding crowd-pleaser. Best served while hot.
90 g Kefalotiri cheese (or other melting cheese like Gruyere), sliced 1 cm thick
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp fig jam (or other jam of your choice, like apricot or strawberry)
1/4 tsp black pepper, cracked
Pinch of toasted sesame seeds
Pinch of chopped parsley
4 slices of baguette
4 tbsp EVOO
1. Brush the baguette with olive oil and toast. Set aside.
2. Combine the black pepper and the jam. Set aside.
3. Coat the cheese in flour, then in egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
4. In a small sauté pan, melt the butter. Fry the breaded cheese over medium heat until golden brown on one side. Flip the cheese to brown the other side.
5. Flame the cheese in the same sauté pan.
6. Garnish the fried cheese with the peppered jam, toasted sesame seeds, and chopped parsley.
7. Serve immediately with the toasted baguette.
ALSO READ: Healthy Food You'd Love to Instagram and Devour
Recipe from Chef Robby Goco of Cyma Greek Taverna. Photograph from facebook.com/cymarestaurant