Have you always wanted pancakes that marry chocolate, banana, and caramel altogether? Serotonin levels on high, yes! These fluffy pancakes will give you a smile you'll wear all day. Go ahead: Indulge, spread the cheer and share.
Chocolate Pancakes with Bananas and Caramel Sauce
Serves 4 to 6
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups chocolate milk
2 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup caramel sauce, warm
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine chocolate milk, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir well. Gradually add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined but still lumpy.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold it into the batter.
4. Warm a griddle on low heat. Pour half cup of batter onto the griddle.
5. Cook until the surface is covered with tiny bubbles, about 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle surface with 1 tablespoon chocolate chips.
6. Flip the pancakes and cook until the second side is golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
7. Stack pancakes on a plate, top with sliced bananas, then drizzle with caramel sauce.
ALSO READ: Kitchen Whiz: This Granola Recipe Is Not Just for Breakfast
Originally published in FOOD Magazine, Issue 3, 2015. Recipe and styling by Aileen A. Anastacio, photograph by Ian Castañares. Check out more exciting stories and mouthwatering recipes in FOOD's latest issue, now out in major bookstores. FOOD is available in bookstores and on newsstands for P120. Download the FOOD Magazine app for access to all digital editions on your tablet or smartphone, available in Zinio, Android and Apple App Stores. Like FOOD on Facebook (www.facebook.com/FOODMagazine) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@FOODMagazine)