You and your guy have already found your couple style M.O. (perhaps matchy matchy outfits or color blocking looks?)—why not take your Instagram game further by mastering the art of the shoefie? It looks pretty easy, but mind you, just like any other social media photography technique, with shoefies, practice makes perfect. And to come up with the best, you must learn from the best—a.k.a our shoefie couple peg, actress Maxene Magalona and musician and model Robby Mananquil.
While they’ve got note-worthy OOTDs (they are, after all, one of the most stylish pairs in Manila), it’s their shoefies that have stolen our attention—and you just have to see them, too (if you haven’t yet)! They’re so good at this whole thing that you’ll keep on checking their feed for shoefie updates—and start strategizing how you and your guy can cop their style. Well, we’ve compiled our favorite shoefies of Max and Robby’s, along with some practical tips, so you and your love can learn how to nail the perfect shoefie just in time for Valentine’s Day:
1. Aim for contrast. Nothing spells manly more than black, and to highlight your man's masculinity further, ladies, opt for a bright-colored or multi-hued pair—this will establish right off the bat your distinct, but complementary, personalities.
2. Buy unisex pairs. In different colors, of course. Sneakers are the most common his and hers choice, but if you're feeling adventurous, laidback sandals are the better option.
3. But if sneakers are more your thing, stick to black for him and white for her. In a simple, round-toe design, the most classic, hence sleek, combo of them all—need we say more?
4. Have friends join in on the fun. In Maxene and Robby's case, it's the latter's sister, Raya, and her husband, Ben, whom they took a group shoefie with during their vacation in Singapore over the holiday break.
5. Have more than one pair of his and hers shoes. More reason to take more shoefies, right? Maxene and Robby, who both have hip, rock-inspired styles, not only have matching Birks but the same Doc Martens boots as well.
6. Why not go for more matching pieces while you're at it? Perhaps luggage and luggage tags and headgears? It'll make so many things easier for you, promise.
ALSO READ: Cheat Sheet: What We Learned About Couple Style from Isabelle Daza and Adrien Semblat
Photographs from Instagram.com/maxenemagalona and Instagram.com/robmananquil