1. Go whole-grain. One of the best methods to prevent fats from padding up your figure is the Macrobiotic Diet. This high-fiber, low-fat diet emphasizes whole grains as a staple food, supplemented only with local vegetables. Also known as the “pre-industrial diet,” the Macrobiotic Diet goes back to Buddhism’s simple dietary principles, which requires only servings of 100% natural food. This means poultry, meat, dairy, and especially highly processed products are absolute no-nos in the process. The idea is to proportion 60% of your main meal to whole grains, 30% to vegetables, and 10% to tofu. Oscar-winner and now food writer Gwyneth Paltrow credits this strict regimen for her beautifully sculpted, yet healthy, physique.
BONUS BENEFIT: Helps you drop the weight while redirecting you to choose healthier food options—holistic benefits in the long run
2. Get your fruit fix. The Fruit Flush Diet is a nutritious fix that promises to solve your weight concerns in three days. On day one of your diet, limit yourself to protein shakes, followed by eight to 12 ounces of water, every two hours between 8AM to 4PM. Days two and three must consist of purely fruit servings in the same intervals and time frame. Fix yourself a dinner of four to six cups of raw vegetable salad, three to six ounces of lean chicken, one tablespoon of olive oil, protein shake, and half an avocado. This diet is the brainchild of nutritionist and fitness trainer Jay Robb, who claims that this diet is essential in depleting toxins from the cells, excess fat, and toxic waste matter that have accumulated in the colon.
BONUS BENEFIT: Maintains your own muscle mass, hence defining your contours even more
3. Love the lemon. If you’re up for a challenge, the Lemon Diet is the right fit for you. It guarantees to help you drop 20 pounds in 10 days, earning it the alias “Master Cleanse.” The requirement is to drink six to 10 glasses of lemonade a day (composed of water, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper), best taken with salt water in the morning and herbal laxative tea at night. You’ll be able to regain your strength and feel energized after the first three days of detoxification. You may again consume the prohibited solid food little by little after those 10 days—and you’ll find yourself craving for meals with very little meat and no dairy. This diet was first developed by health enthusiast Stanley Burroughs who also published the idea in his book, The Master Cleanser, in 1941. Most notable lemon dieter is R&B singer Beyonce Knowles, who lost 20 pounds in less than two weeks for her Dreamgirls role in 2006.
BONUS BENEFIT: Diverts you from reaching for those calories while detoxifying your body from impurities
4. Detoxify. For less hassle, the Detox Water Diet only requires water, lemon, cucumber, and mint. These ingredients have been known to alkalize and rehydrate the body, boost the immune system, and aid in digestion. The best way to serve it is to prepare twelve cups of water, two to three slices of lemon, one small cucumber, and 10 to 15 organic mint leaves. If you are over 150 pounds, settle for one glass a day. If you weigh less than 150 pounds, go for one-half glass a day. Adding the Detox Water Diet 30 minutes before breakfast is helpful in nutrient absorption.
BONUS BENEFIT: Helps you rid of excess water in your body while calming down and balancing your pH levels
5. Hands on board. The name says it all: The Five Hands Diet instructs you to choose your meals based on the size of your hands. This approach consists of five meals a day with emphasis on protein and carbohydrates. The thickness of your palm determines the amount of protein you can have for a meal, while your clenched fist should equal the amount of carbs on your plate. This diet entails the consumption of energy and protein-rich food accompanied by green vegetables, eliminating all wheat products. This diet helped Spice girl Victoria Beckham shed the whopping 21 pounds she gained during her last pregnancy.
BONUS BENEFIT: Amps up your metabolism by controlling your insulin levels, hence burning away the fats rather than storing it
6. More than a grain. A lighter remedy for your holiday woes is the addition of quinoa in your meals. Quinoa seeds are rich in amino acids, iron, and Vitamin B12, which are highly essential in energy production and weight loss. The World Health Organization equates the amount of protein in quinoa to the amount of protein found in milk. Even with only a few calories, quinoa’s high protein and fiber content boosts satiation. In fact, it has become an alternative grain for dieters. Substitute quinoa for rice and pasta. Allow one cup of this grain to take the place of your breakfast and cereals as well.
BONUS BENEFIT: The high protein and fiber from this diet will make you feel fuller while running on lesser calories
ALSO READ: Me Time: Three Alternative Wellness Retreats and Treatments for the Ever Busy Woman
Original article from Metro’s December 2014 issue, written by Katrina Bonillo and Charmagne Garcia-Laconico; photograph by Johann Bona. Check out more exciting stories in the December 2015-January 2016 issue, now out in major bookstores. Metro is available in bookstores and on newsstands for P150. Download the Metro Magazine app for access to all digital editions on your tablet or smartphone, available in Zinio, Android and Apple App Stores. Like Metro on Facebook and follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@MetroMagPH).