Grilled “Mushroom-rubbed” Steak
Serves 4 to 5
1/2 kilo beef tenderloin
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat the griller until very hot. You can adjust to the desired heat after.
2. Cut tenderloin evenly into 100 to 120-gram fillets. Season fillets with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and place inside the refrigerator.
3. Place dried mushrooms in a food processor and process until texture is a fine powder. Place mushrooms in a bowl and stir in brown sugar. Mix well.
4. Coat steaks evenly with the mushroom mixture and marinate about 4 to 6 hours before grilling.
5. Grill to desired doneness, preferably medium-rare.
6. Serve with a salad of arugula, Parmesan cheese, chopped shallots, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
READ: The Thirst-Quenching Concoction You Can Pair With This Steak
Originally published in FOOD Magazine's March 2013 issue. Recipe by Tina Legarda, photograph by Pia Puno. Follow FOOD Magazine on Instagram and like their official Facebook page.