Have you always lusted after the classic yet modern and perennially youthful yet essentially sophisticated looks of Kapamilya beauties Liza Soberano, Janella Salvador, and Sofia Andres? You no longer have to wonder how they do it: Their resident stylist, Perry Tabora, who’s in charge of dressing them up for just about every TV appearance, campaign shoot, and event, equips you with valuable know-how on channeling their chic vibe.
A Fashion Design and Merchandising graduate from the De La Salle College of St. Benilde, Perry has always been interested in fashion and formally started his foray in the industry as an associate stylist for industry pioneer Ton Lao (his clients include Daniel Padilla and Xian Lim) and eventually ventured out into his own. His love for classics is evident in the looks he puts together for his clients, but his fresh and youthful perspective makes them very now without looking cheesy. Read on for his tried and tested styling hacks and body type lovin’ tips:
Style Rules to Live By, According to Perry
1. “Fit is important because regardless of how beautiful the pieces are, if it doesn't fit right, it won't look good.”
2. “Mix and match classic and trendy pieces to avoid looking too trendy.”
3. “Accessories are good accents to an outfit but be careful to not let them overshadow your entire look.”
4. “Have a go-to and no fail versatile outfit that will make you look great at the office or school; and by just adding a few accessories, all posh for dinner.”
5. “Invest in quality classic pieces because you can mix and match these with your outfits regardless of what the current trend is.”
6. “Dress appropriately, but if uncertain, always choose to overdress.”
Big-boned and bottom-heavy like Liza? Here’s how to work your body type
“When styling Liza's body type, it's important that her waist is defined so that everything is in proportion. For tops: Wear something with a V-neckline to give off a proportioned look. Off shoulder and halter tops are also okay for this. When it comes to bottoms, full skirts, wide leg pants, and fitted skirts complement her body type well.”
Skinny like Janella? Here’s how to take advantage of your lean frame
“Janella's assets are her shoulders, small waist, and hips so any type of clothing will suffice but it is important to make sure that the clothes are always age-appropriate and jives with her sweet and bubbly personality which you can achieve by making sure the silhouette reflects this and by including color in your outfit.”
Want to put a spin on your laidback look? Make Sofia your style peg
“Sofia’s style is very laidback so it's more on separates in neutral shades mixed with vibrant colors so the look is still youthful.”
Follow Perry on Instagram. Photographs from his account.