Another long weekend is right around the corner, have you made any plans yet? An outdoor picnic would be a great refresher from the gloomy past week we've just had, what with the weather looking to be cooperative. To make your excursion more personal, try this recipe for a homemade dip that your family and friends (of all ages!) won't be able to resist—it's cheesy, creamy, and everything unforgettable in between.
Chips and Dips in Jars
Serves 6 to 8
1 cup softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 can (390 grams) pork and beans
1 can corn kernels
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 can (454 grams) refried beans
1 can (254 grams) sautéed corned beef
1 cup bottled cheese spread
1 cup shredded quick-melting cheddar cheese
1. In a bowl, cream together cream cheese and taco seasoning. Warm in the microwave for about
30 seconds and set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine pork and beans, corn and tomatoes. Set aside.
3. Spread the refried beans evenly on the bottom of an oven-safe jar or container. Place taco-
cream cheese mixture on top of the refried beans. Place the pork and beans mixture on top,
followed by the corned beef and cheese spread. Repeat using 500-gram jars or containers.
4. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly on top of the layered dip.
5. Bake the jars in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
6. Let cool then cover the jars. You can keep the jars in the refrigerator for up to two days before
the picnic. Serve with a bag of chips on the side.
Spice it up: Add sliced jalapeños, spicy corned beef or a few dashes of hot sauce for an extra kick.
Original story published in Food Magazine's April issue, Story, recipe, and styling by Pixie Rodrigo Sevilla, photography by Paulo Valenzuela.